The Bunbury family have been connected to Ireland at least since Elizabethan times when Thomas Bunbury was appointed one of the executors of the Lismore estate in 1585. Thomas's grandson, Sir Henry Bunbury, was stripped of his title and lands for supporting the Royalist cause during the Cromwell's Dictatorship of the 1650s. While his sons remained in England, Sir Henry's nephews followed a growing trend and emigrated. One made it to Virginia and became a prosperous tobacco baron. Another, Benjamin Bunbury (1642-1707), moved to County Carlow, Ireland, where, in 1669, he married Mary, widow of Matthew Sheppard of Owles in Lancashire. Mary appears to have lived to a considerable age - according to Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland 1912, her will was proven in 1741.
Mary bore Benjamin at least five sons and a daughter. The eldest son, Joseph Bunbury, settled at Johnstown, two miles east of Carlow town. The second son, Thomas Bunbury, secured land at Cloghna & Cranavonane near Leighlinrbidge in Co. Carlow. The third son William Bunbury established the family seat at Lisnavagh in Co. Carlow. The fourth son Matthew Bunbury moved to Kilfeakle, Co. Tipperary. The youngest son, also Benjamin Bunbury, inherited Killerig. The daughter, Diana, married Thomas Barnes, one of the Duke of Ormonde's soldiers from Kilkenny.
Thomas Bunbury of Cloghna and Cranavonane was born in 1673.
In 1697, the year in which the first Lisnavagh House was built, he married Rose Jackson. She may have been a daughter of William Jackson (d. 1688) of Coleraine, Co. Londonderry, by his wife Susan Beresford. 
[William Jackson's father the Rev. Richard Jackson was born in Kirby Lonsdale in 1602, the son of William Jackson, mercer. He matriculated from Christ's Colllege, Cambridge, in July 1619, picking up a BA in 1622 and an MA in 1626. He became Vicar of Halton in 1634 and then succeeded te Rev. Meyre to become Rector of Whittington, Yorkshire on July 26th 1641. He remained at Whittington until 1680, a member of the Presbyterian classis (ie: the higher assembly) but conformed at the Restoration. The Rev. Richard Jackson is said to have sired 15 children by 1645. William Jackson is thought to have been born on 4 September 1628, the eldest of four sons born to Richard and his first wife Dorothy Otway (who he married in Kirby Lonsdale on 27 Nov 1627; the other brothers were Thomas (born 1629), John (born 1630) and Samuel (born 1631). Rev. Richard was married secondly in 1647 to 29-year-old Jane Carter, daughter of John Carter and his wife Ann Newton (1580-1666). Richard and Jane had a son, the Rev. Leonard Jackson (c. 1650-1726) and five daughters, Abigail, Vigesima (1657-1234, ancestress of the Peart Robinson and McClintock Bunbury families), Jennet (d. 1729), Marie (b. 1653) and the short-lived Jane (buried 1648).
The Bunburys were already well established in County Carlow - Thomas's father had been High Sheriff of the county in 1695. At some point, Thomas acquired a property south of Carlow town at Cloghna, or Cloughna, just off the N9 somewhere close to Tinryland.
On 10th August 1706, Thomas Bunbury of Cloughna, Co. Carlow (as he was described) secured a lease from James Butler of Garryhunden, Co. Carlow on ‘the lands of Cranovonan containing 461 acres 1 P.M. for three lives renewable’. (23-128.83195). The townland of Cranavonane lies on the southern slopes of the ridge outside Carlow Town, about midway between Ballinabrannagh and Old Leighlin.
Rose Bunbury died at Cranavonane in February 1738 and Thomas followed in 1743. They left two surviving sons - Thomas and Benjamin.
 A piece of trivia that diehard Bunbury genealogists might enjoy ... Elizabeth Dawson (nee Bouch), another granddaughter of the Rev Richard Jackson, was ancestress of the Peart Robinson family from whom the present-day McClintock Bunburys descend. She was a daughter of the Rev. Jackson's daughter Vigesima (by his later wife Jane Carter) and her curate husband Thomas Bouch. Thanks to Tom Robinson for this].
TGF Pattersons papers held at the Armagh County Museum - which he compiled based on Crossle transcripts: Notebook # 5 Page 21 - Per will made 9 June 1697; proved 5 Sept 1697. W. Jackson of Dublin, Merchant; wife Rose - On front - 18 Sept 1688 of Commission to swear Susanna JACKSON widow & executrix of will of W. JACKSON of Coleraine esq in trust for his minor children William, Richard, Beresford, John, Thomas, Otway, Rose & Jane directed to Richard LYNAM, Patrick GORDAN & Henry ARKWRIGHT - all of Coleraine.
Appendix 1: 1722 Deed of Thomas Bunbury - Jackson, Bernard The following deed, dated November 26, 1722, indicates that he was putting things in order for his wife a Rose Jackson and his eldest son, also Thomas.Thomas BUNBURY, Esq. of Choghner, CATHERLOGH [Carlow] & Thomas BUNBURY the younger, son & heir to Thomas JACKSON, Esq. of Dublin City, trustee & Franks BERNARD, Gent of Clonmuske, CATHERLOGH £800 in trust. Thomas JACKSON & Frank BERNARD to invest to satisfy Thomas BUNBURY jr. during life of Thomas BUNBURY sr., such sums as lands of Cranavolan, Idrone, (Bar) Cath are insufficient to make up yrly rent charge of £100. Remaining interest to be pd to Thomas BUNBURY sr. and on his death to Rose BUNBURY & on her death the £800 + inter due to Thomas BUNBURY j. for life. For better securing rent charge, Thomas BUNBURY sr. to Thomas BUNBURY jr. of sd rent charge out of sd lands during life of Thomas BUNBURY sr., with clause of distress in charge unpaid. REGISTRAR: Bruen WORTHINGTON. WITNESSES: James REILLY, Gent of Dublin City & Henry DIM, taylor of Dublin City. (36-245-22166) - Notes thanks to Michael Stewart and Sharon Oddie Brown.
Appendix 2: 1737 Will of Thomas Bunbury
(63146 88 420 Lease & Release 8 &9 Feb 1737)
Thomas Bunbury snr, City of Dublin, & Rose, his wife, Thomas Bunbury jnr, Clownings, Co Kildare, his eldest son & heir apparent (1) Edward Folie, City of Dublin (2). Sale of Clownings, Co Kildare, & Cranevonan, psh Tullow, By Idrone, Co Carlow, for lives of Thomas Bunbury the yr, Edmond Bunbury & Thomas Bunbury, renewable. Bunburys to suffer a common recovery. Wit Den Doran, John Selling Alien, & Thomas Moore, yeoman, all Dublin. Reg 22 Mar 1737
Appendix 3: 1743 Will of Thomas Bunbury
(77934 110 363 Lease & Release 22 & 23 Jul 1743)
Thomas Bunbury, City of Dublin, eldest son & heir of Thomas Bunbury, late said City, dcd (1) Rose Bunbury ors Jackson, mother of \s Thomas & widow of Thomas dcd (2) Henry Bunbury, Johnstown, Co Carlow (3) Edward Foley, City of Dublin (4) Thomas Fitzgerald (5) Theophilus Debrisay, said City (6). Debrisay paying Thomas £668:4s & Rose, Henry & Foley 10s each for 140a at Morganey, By Kilkea & Moone, Co Kildare. £45 pa & a barrel of wheat each Christmas to Rose for life. Reg 9 Dec 1743"
Thomas succeeded to Cloghna in 1743.
On 25th April 1770, Thomas Bunbury of Dublin leased 168 acres of land at Cranvornan [sic] to William Bernard for three lives or 99 years. These lands were bound on the east by Rathornan and on the south by Coolenekishe. (295.273. 196066). In a deed dated 1775 from Bunbury to Ward, the holding of William Bernard is mentioned as a boundary to Ward's farm.
He died at Cloghna on 9th August 1781 and was buried in Tullow churchyard three days later. Burkes 1912 Gentry claims he left no children but another source I have temporarily mislaid says he was buried with his wife Ann and four children so a trip to Tullow church is in order. I have no further record of this branch but presumably if he did have sons, they predeceased him, for the Cloghna property ultimately passed to his brother Benjamin. The lease on Cranvornan with William Bernard appears to have been renegotiated on 24th February 1781 (Reportorium. II. I. 188), just months before Thomas died. In 1821, William Bernard leased these lands to Garrett Cullen of Cranavonan.
Given that his mother was a Jackson, he was presumably the Thomas Bunbury who was a signatory to the will of Richard Jackson in 1776. The aforementioned Rose Jackson, daughter of William, would have been a grand-aunt of the Richard Jackson of Forkhill, Co. Armagh, who died in 1787.
Thomas's brother Benjamin succeeded to Cranavonane and married Rose Mervyn daughter of Dean Mervyn of County Carlow. Benjamin and Rose had a son, Thomas, and daughter, name unknown, who married a Mr. Norris. There is also a record of a marriage on June 17 1751 between 'Mr Daniel Allen, Merchant' and 'Anne, daughter of the late Ben Bunbury, Kilfoyd, Co Carlow, Esq.' which may be relevant. Rose died at Cranavonane on 20th October 1761. Her death was recorded in 'The Gentleman's and London magazine' of that year, which named her as 'Mrs Rose Bunbury, mother of Thomas Bunbury, Esq, high sheriff of the co of Carlow'.
In about 1751, Cranavonane (sometimes known as Craan) became home to a young man called Edmund Cullen (1717-1819). Edmund is said to have descended from a Jacobite soldier. His wife Alice Kinsella (1741-Aug 1793) was a daughter of Dan Kinsella of Kilballyhugh. Edmund and Alice Cullen, both buried at Nurney, had eight children. The eldest son Hugh was father of Cardinal Paul Cullen (1803-1878), Bishop of Armagh (1849), Archbishop of Dublin (1852), and Ireland's first Cardinal (1866). The fourth son, Lieutenant Paul Cullen was one of four cousins executed in Leighlin on 21st May 1798. He was apparently court-martialled for refusing to hand his valuable horse over to Sir Richard Butler in return for the £5 a papist's horse was normally deemed to be worth. Any information on this tale would be welcome.
Benjamin Bunbury's son Thomas Bunbury of Cranavonane was a captain in the
British Army. In 1758 he married Mary Mill. In 2011, I was contacted by Ann Stancombe who advised me she was researching the history of Marlston House, through which she had discovered that Mary Mill, baptised on 20th November 1738, was the youngest of five children born to a successful Exeter mechant called Hugh Mill and his wife, Elizabeth. Exeter had been a wealthy city for many hundreds of years and one of the visible signs of this was the number of parishes, each with its own stone built Church. By the 18th century, Exeter was a prosperous trading centre, primarily cloth; Exeter blue serge was especially in demand in Holland. There were also markets for the cloth in Spain and Portugal and consequently Exeter was also a major importer of wine. Undyed serge was also produced and this was sent mainly to markets in London. The city itself developed mainly within the existing city walls which meant Exeter became increasingly overcrowded as the century progressed.
Hugh's sister Ann Mills was married to John Trevethick, a grocer and Freeman of Exeter who became Mayor of Exeter in 1741. Born in 1697, Hugh Mill also served his apprenticeship as a grocer before becoming a Freeman in 1722. In 1733 he married Elizabeth Gird, the 19-year-old daughter of another grocer, Henry Grid, of St Mary’s Arches, and granddaughter of wealthy fuller miller, Christopher Gird. Hugh and Elizabeth probably lived in the parish of St. Stephen's Church which is where Mary was baptised.
Mary Bunbury (nee Mill) appears to have been particularly close to her unmarried sister Deborah Mill who lived in the thriving port of Topsham, a few miles south of Exeter. In 1781, Deborah inherited Marlston House, Bucklebury, following the death of her friend and cousin Mary Wyld, the daughter of John Wightwick and Mary Gird. Deborah died within a few months of inheriting Marlston. She left the house and all her estates in Berkshire to her unmarried friend, Sarah Ouchterlony, on the understanding that after Sarah's death, they should pass to one of Thomas and Mary Bunbury’s children. The choice of which child was left to Sarah’s discretion. That it was Benjamin who was to inherit seems to have been decided many years before her death as he was to develop his association with the area over many years before finally inheriting the estate in 1817. (See Appendix 1).
In 1761, both Thomas and Mary lost their mothers. That same year Thomas was High Sheriff for County Carlow. Thomas died at the age of 61 on 11th December 1790. He was buried at St. Mary's in Dublin where a monument on the wall erected by his younger son Hugh Mill Bunbury states that he lived in Clontarf. (4) His widow survived him by 36 years, passing away at Lyncombe in Somerset in March 1826. She was buried at Buckleberry near Chieveley in Berkshire. Thomas and Mary had at least six sons, namely:
1. Major Benjamin Bunbury (1760-1827) the eldest son.
2. Harrison Charles Bunbury (1764-1803), served as 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Navy on HMS Sceptre, died unmarried. Probate: 12-5-1803, Granted GRO ref: PROB 11/1392.
3. Hugh Mill Bunbury (1766-1838), Plantation Owner of Guyana, whose family is explored here. Died in Wandsworth on 2nd November 1838.
4. Colonel Hamilton Welch Bunbury (1772-1833), 3rd Buffs, father of Mary Bunbury who married her cousin Hugh Mill Bunbury and is mentioned below
5. John Monseer Bunbury (1775-1798), also served in the Royal Navy but died without issue aged 23 in 1798.
6. General Thomas Bunbury (1787 - 1857), Governor of St Lucia.
The eldest son was Major Benjamin Bunbury (1760-1827), the first of the family to reside at Marlston House, Newbury, Berkshire, which he inherited in 1817, upon the death of Sarah Ouchterlony, from his aunt Deborah Mill. According to the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Marlstone was 'a tything and chapelry in the parish of Bucklebury, hundred of Reading, county Berks, 4 miles N.E. of Newbury. The village is inconsiderable, and chiefly agricultural. The chapel-of-ease is an ancient edifice. The principal residence is Marlstone House.' (5) His mother's will of 1826 urged him to purchase one third of Marlston farm from a Mrs Lawson so that Marlston farm can be amalgamated with Benjamin's estate. Benjamin became a Lieutenant in the 66th Foot (Berks) on 25th February 1782, later rising to Major.
In 1791, shortly after his father's death, the bachelor Benjamin had an illegitimate son. As Major Thomas Bunbury (1791 - 1861), this boy grew up to be one of the key envoys behind the Maori peace settlement in New Zealand during the 1840s. On 10th August 1797, Benjamin married Anne Cowling, daughter and co-heiress of Henry Cowling of Richmond, Yorkshire. She bore him a son and heir, Henry Mill Bunbury (1809-1886), and a daughter, Anne Elizabeth Bunbury (1803- 1896), ancestress of the Verstrume-Bunbury family.
Following the death of his first wife in November 1811, Major Benjamin Bunbury was married secondly to Eliza Susannah (or Elizabeth Susan), widow of Colonel Taubman (or Tautman). (6) Eliza had grown up in a villa on Sir Fracis Walsingham's old estate at Foot's Cray Place in Kent, which her father Benjamin Harenc purchased in 1772. In 1822, her brother, also Benjamin, founder of the Bromely Savings Bank, sold the Foot's Cray estate to Nicholas Vansittart, Lord Bexley, a former Chancellor of the Exchequer. (7) Major Bunbury had no further children by this second marriage. Around this time he acquired Marlstone from Deborah Mill's friend Mrs. Sarah Ouchterlony.
In August 1827, the Major and his only legitimate son, 18-year-old Henry Mill Bunbury were taking air in a pony chaise some 3 miles from Marlstone House when something spooked their horse resulting in the vehicle being overturned. The two Bunburys were trapped beneath the chaise and subjected to three hours of kicking by the horse before a passer-by came to their rescue. The elder Bunbury lingered speechless for several days, then passed away. He was buried at St Mary's Church, Buckleberry, Berkshire, on 4th September 1827. (8)
Upon his death in 1790, Thomas Bunbury was succeeded at Cranavonane by his fourth son, 19-year-old Hamilton Welch Bunbury (1772-1833), a soldier who rose to become a Colonel in the 3rd Buffs. It is not clear why none of the older brothers - Benjamin, Harrison or Hugh - succeeded. He joined the army as 'Welch Hamilton Bunbury', being appointed an Ensign in the 60th Foot on 24 October 1787, the eve of the French Revolution. He was promoted Lieutenant in the same regiment four years later on 29 March 1791. On Christmas Eve 1794 he transferred to the 128th Foot as a 'Captain-Lieutenant without purchase'. For reasons unknown he was registered as 'William Henry Bunbury' when he was transferred to be Captain-Lieutenant of the 35th Foot on 1 September 1795. He became a Captain without purchasein the same regiment on 13 August 1799. His promotions continued into the new century - Brevet Major (1 January 1805), Major without purchase, 35th Foot (30 April 1805) and Lieutenant Colonel, 3rd East Kent Regiment of Foot, aka The Buffs (31 December 1806). He served in the Peninsula from September 1808 to February 1810, commanding the 1st Battalion of Detachments from February to September 1809. He again fought in the Peninsula from June 1812 to December 1813, seeing action at the Douro, Talavera, Vittoria, the Pyrenees, Nivelle, and Nive. He received the Gold Medal for Talavera. He retired and sold his commission on 16 May 1814, five weeks after the abdication of Emperor Napoleon.
Colonel Bunbury famously received a glass of wine in his face from his nephew, Thomas Bunbury, while having dinner with his brother Benjamin Bunbury and sister-in-law Anne Bunbury at Marlstone House.
In 1810, the Colonel married Mary Russell, daughter of Durham coal baron Matthew Russell, MP for Saltash. Russell was reputedly the richest commoner in England at the time. In 1817, he instigated the virtual rebuilding of Brancepeth Castle in Durham which his wealthy father had purchased from the Tempests 20 years earlier. Matthew is said to have spent £80,000 a year for several years on the restoration which took place under the guidance of a Scottish architect called Patterson. Matthew's wife Elizabeth Tennyson was an aunt of the poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-1892) who reputedly composed "Come into the Garden Maude" during a visit to Brancepeth. Once again, the Bunbury name seems to be absent from the annals and I can only find reference to Mary's (presumably elder) sister Emma who married Gustavus Hamilton-Russell, 7th Viscount Boyne, and ultimately succeeded to Brancepeth on the death, without issue, of their brother William Russell.
Colonel Hamilton and Mary Bunbury had just one child, a daughter born in Bath in 1811 and christened Mary Diana Bunbury. In 1833, she married her first cousin, Henry Mill Bunbury. The marriage was evidently an unpopular one with her father and there is a letter, dated 20th November 1832, in which the Colonel wrote to his niece Lydia Jane Bunbury de Vigny from Dover, stating his strong objections to Mary's marriage. He urged Lydia to intervene in the matter via her father, Hugh Mill Bunbury of Guyana, whom the young Mary has asked to be her guardian. As Mary's father was still alive, it is curious indeed that she should appoint his brother as her guardian. The "malheureux père", as the Colonel calls himself, alludes to "secrets" that were passed on to his wife Mary concerning the young Henry Mill Bunbury. The letter is in translation, the original version in English being currently housed in the Sangnier Archives, Paris. In any event, it may not be coincidence that Colonel Hamilton Bunbury died the same year that Mary married Henry Mill Bunbury. The Colonel was buried in the churchyard of St Mary's Parish Church, Buckleberry, Bucks on 8th May 1833. Cranavonane duly passed to his daughter Mary. (See: Correspondance d'Alfred de Vigny, tome 2, août 1830 - Septembre 1835, p. 489, PUF, 1991)
Born in 1809, Henry Mill Bunbury was the only son of Major Benjamin Bunbury (1760-1827) by his wife Anne Cowling. Henry was only 18 years old when, after his father's awful death, he succeeded to Marlstone House. In 1831 he graduated from Oxford with a BA. Two years later, on 25th Feb 1833, he controversially (see above) married his first cousin Mary Diana Bunbury (1811-1864) at St. James in Dover. (9) She was the only child of his uncle Colonel Hamilton Bunbury. When the Colonel died that same year, Mary succeeded to the family seat of Cranavonane in Co Carlow.
In 1842, Henry Mill Bunbury was appointed High Sheriff of Berkshire. On 19th March 1842, The Windsor and Eton Express noted : 'Among the addresses of congratulation on the birth of a Prince of Wales presented to her Majesty at the levee, was one from the County of Berks, presented by J.J.Bulkeley, Esq.(late High Sheriff), who was accompanied by Mr.Pusey, M.P., Mr.R. Palmer, M.P., the Rev. Mr. Hitching; and Mr. C. Lane. Henry Mill Bunbury, Esq., the present High Sheriff of the county, was prevented attending the levee by having met with an accident'. Fortunately Henry survived.
Mary Bunbury (nee Bunbury) died aged 53 in February 1864 and was buried
at St. Mary's Church in Buckleberry on 1st March. Two years later, on 13th
February 1866, Henry Mill Bunbury kept the Tennyson connection going
strong when he took as his second wife Ellen Elizabeth d'Eyncourt,
a first cousin of Alfred, the aforementioned bard who had been Poet Laureate
since 1850. The marriage took place at St George's, Hanover Sq, London.
Ellen's father was the Rt. Hon. Charles Tennyson d'Eyncourt (1784
- 1861), MP for Lambeth, an eccentric character, eager to establish his
family as one of aristocratic proportions. As such, he Normanized the name
of his family home in Lincolnshire from Beacon Manor to Bayons Manor
and even stretched back through the ages to find a surname (d'Eyncourt)
that would make his own sound more highbrow. He also substantially altered
the manor into an elaborate neo-Gothic castle and had a famous fall out
with his poetic cousin. On 1st January 1808, Charles Tennyson married Ellen's
mother, Frances Mary Hutton, at the Parish Church of Gainsborough,
Lincolnshire. She was the daughter and heiress of the Rev. John Hutton
of Morton, Lincs. Charles died in 1861 and Frances in January 1878. Ellen
Elizabeth was baptised on 7 July 1817 at St Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex.
Ellen's eldest brother Edwin Tennyson d'Eyncourt (1813-1903) became
an Admiral and married Lady Henrietta Pelham-Clinton, daughter of
the 4th Duke of Newcastle. Ellen's second brother (Louis) Charles
Tennyson (1814 - 1896) was a Metropolitan Police Magistrate and married
Sophia, daughter and co-heiress of John Ashton Yates of Dinglehead,
MP. (*) No children were born to Ellen and Henry.
Henry died at Marlstone aged 77 on December 27th 1886 and was buried the following New Year's Day at St. Mary's Church, Buckleberry. (10) At the time of his death, he was still a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for the county. His widow died on 12th February 1900 at 60, Euston Square, London, and was buried alongside him on 17th February 1900, the same day a distant cousin, Billy Bunbury of Lisnavagh, was killed in the Boer War.
As Henry Mill Bunbury left no children, Cranavonane passed to his young cousin, Hamilton Joseph Bunbury (1866 - 1949), son of Captain Philip Peter Mill Bunbury and his wife Georgina (nee MacEvoy). Hamilton was born on 14th February 1866 and educated at Downside. He served as a Captain in the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment and later as a Major in the 4th Battalion HLI. He became a Knight of the Sovereign Order of Malta and, in 1923, served as Privy Chamberlain of the Sword and Cape to His Holiness Pope Pius XI. He died unmarried at Ballygate Cottage, Beccles, Suffolk, on 13th May 1949, and was buried in the local Catholic Church. His only sibling, Mary Alicia Bunbury, also took to the Catholic cloth, becoming a Nun of the Order of the Good Shepherds. She died aged 86 on 12th March 1953.
As to Marlstone House, this passed to Henry's nephew, Louis Hutton Verstrume, son of his only sister Anne Elizabeth Bunbury, on the condition that he and his heirs take the name of Bunbury. Hence the advent of the Versturme-Bunburys. Henry and Anne's illegitimate half-brother, Major Thomas Bunbury, the Peninsula War veteran, received £500 in this will and is mentioned as being the son of Benjamin Bunbury. In 1829, 26-year-old Anne Elizabeth Bunbury married Captain Louis Versturme, son of Sir Louis Versturme, Inspector General of Hospitals. Anne died at Newton Hall, Whittington, Lancashire, on the 24th February 1896 aged 92, leaving a daughter and two sons. By her son Adolphus Verstrume, Anne was ancestress of the Verstrume-Bunbuy family who settled in Kenya in the early 20th century.
Marlstone was seemingly sold in 1896 to Mr. G. Palmer of Reading, father of the Rt. Hon. George W. Palmer. Today, "Marlston House" is a day and boarding school for girls aged 3-13. (See http://marlstonhouse.co.uk)
Above: There is a possibility that
this portrait shows
General Thomas Bunbury, Governor of St. Lucia, younger
son of Thomas Bunbury and Mary Mill. However, it may
be Lt. Col. Charles Thomas Bunbury, commander of the
Rifle Brigade, third son of Hugh and Alicia Bunbury.
(Photo courtesy of Peter Bunbury)
Thomas and Mary' Bunburys youngest son Thomas was born at Cranavonane,
Co. Carlow, in March 1783. He joined the army at 17 and rose to become a
Lieutenant General in the British Army and Colonel of the 60th Rifles.
He started as an Ensign in the 8th West India Regiment, transferring to
the 54th by exchange in 1808, by which time he had become a Captain. He
served in the West Indies from 1804, and then returned to help
defeat Napoleon in the continent. In April 1814 he was promoted to Major
in the Glengarry Fencibles and dispatched to America where he remained
until October 1815. In January 1827 he was sent to Portugal for 16 months.
In his later life he served as Governor or Administrator of British Guyana,
where his brother Hugh Mill
Bunbury had large sugar plantations, and as Governor of St Lucia.
He retired as a Major-General and settled down in Kingston, Jamaica.
On 3rd February 1811, Thomas was married at St. James's, Westminster, to Jane Pearse, daughter of John Pearse of Standon House in Wiltshire who bore him three sons and a daughter before his death at St. James's, Westminster, in 1857.
Their eldest son Thomas Charles Bunbury (1812-1894) was born in Cork, joined the 60th Rifles as a lieutenant in 1832, retired in 1843 and died unmarried in 1894.
Their second son Lt. Col. Stonehouse George Bunbury (1818-1880), was also born in Cork, joined the 60th Rifles in 1833. On 25th May 1850 he was serving with the 67th when he was married in St. Catharine's Cathedral, Spanish Town, Jamaica, to Miss. Georgina Dunston Vidal. Her father, who died of cholera six months after the wedding was John Gale Vidal, a prominent Jamaican solicitor. Her brother John James Vidal (1820-1869) was also a prominent attorney and later Sergeant at Arms of Jamaica. She died three years later on 18th May 1853 aged 30. Lt. Col. Bunbury died in 1880, with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. (See Vidal Family - http://www.green.gen.name/vidal/D4.htm)
Their third son Harry Bunbury (b. 1819) also served with the 60th
Rifles and is reported not to have married. However, it seems he married Susannah Blewitt Tonkin (or Carter) on 21 August 1849, with whom he had a daughter, Florence Angelina Bunbury, born in Sydney
on 18th August 1850. Florence was baptised on 20th June 1852 (Church of
England) but died of Scarlet Fever at Glebe, Sydney, in 1858.
The daughter Catherine Bunbury, born in 1815, died aged 23 on July 21st 1838. Her death was reported in the Guiana Chronicle (July 9 Vol 7, p. 188) as follows: 'July 21 Died. At the house of her father on 29 inst. Lost after a long illness, Catherine, only daughter of Colonel Bunbury, commanding H M Troops in this Colony.'
THE MARY SEACOLE CONNECTION
Thus this fledgling branch of the family came to an end. Or did it? It has been suggested that either General Thomas Bunbury or one of his sons fathered a daughter called Sally (Sarah) by Mary Seacole, the Jamaican nurse who became Florence Nightingale's rival in the Crimea. This came to light in 2004 when Mark Bostridge of The Guardian published a story that Miss Nightingale had told her sister Parthenope that Miss Seacole had a 14-year-old illegimate daughter by an officer of the 23rd Foot called Colonel Bunbury. In an issue of the Daily News in May 1856, a correspondent mentioned in passing that Mary Seacole “was at one time in General Bunbury’s employ”. Sally was with Mrs Seacole in the Crimea in the summer of 1856. See here. The story of Mary Seacole was originally highlighted for me by Audrey Dewjee on 2011. Another - and arguably more likely contender - is Henry William Bunbury of the English branch, not least because he was an officer of the 23rd Foot. General Thomas Bunbury and his sons were all so wrapped up with the 60th Rifles that it would be peculiar for Florence not have mentioned that regiment to her sister.
In 1846, General Bunbury (then a Lieut. Col) came before the Court Of Common Plea charged with failing to repay a loan to a Miss. Caroline Howard who appears to have been his mistress. The Times (February 27, 1846, p. 8) reported on the case as follows:
'Sir T. Wilde, Mr. Serjeant Talfourd, and Mr. Peacock, appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr. Serjeant Manning for the defendant. The plaintiff in this case is a plasterer and respectable tradesman, and brought this action as the executor of a deceased sister, a Miss Caroline Howard, and in that capacity sought to recover £1,000, money alleged to have been sent by her to the defendant, Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Bunbury, of the 60th Rifles.
The defendant pleaded that he did not owe the money, and the Statute of Limitations.
It appeared, from the opening speech of Sir Thomas Wilde, that considerable intimacy had formerly existed between the deceased, Miss Howard, and the defendant at Nottingham; and that in the course of that intimacy, in 1827, he persuaded her to transfer to him £1,000 stock, for which she then received four per cent interest, he agreeing to pay her five per cent. For some years that amount of interest was paid to her in advance; afterwards only on its becoming due, every quarter, until her death in 1843. Shortly before her death she wished to obtain some security for her money and with that object wrote to the defendant, and sent an attorney to call upon him. The defendant agreed to do what was necessary, and upbraided Miss Howard for subjecting him to such an annoyance.
Subsequently to her death her brother, the present plaintiff, wrote to the defendant, informing him of Miss Howard's death, and as her executor requesting payment of the £1,000. The defendant in reply to this letter wrote that at the earnest request of Miss Howard he had procured for her a life annuity of £50 per annum, which now ceased, and that if any part of the annuity was due before her death, his army-agents, Cox and Company, would pay it, and declining to answer any further letters. Search had been made for the enrolment of such an annuity deed, and none could be found.
Probate of the deceased's will having been proved, Mr. Edward Beard, of the house of Cox and Company, proved the payment of £12. 10s. quarterly to Miss Howard from August, 1827, to March, 1843. At first this was paid in advance, but subsequently when due, by Colonel Bunbury's orders. On his cross-examination, the witness said his impression was, that it was an "allowance" to Miss Howard, and he had made out a receipt for her to sign in 1838, with that phrase in it, when he gave her her quarterly payment. (This receipt was put in as evidence by the defendant's counsel.) The transfer of the stock from Miss Howard's name to Colonel Bunbury's was proved, and that subsequently the stock was sold out by the defendant. It was also proved that no annuity whatever had been enrolled. For the defence it was contended that Miss Howard, being dissatisfied with the interest of £40 a year, had made an arrangement with the defendant that be should pay her £50 a year during her life for the £1,000, on the plan of a life- annuity, she sinking the principal.
The learned Judge, in summing up, left it to the jury to determine whether they thought such an arrangement was made for 5 per cent., and whether the quarterly payment had been paid as interest, in order to meet the plea of the Statute of Limitations. The Jury, without turning round in their box, found a verdict for the plaintiff.
Damages, £1,030, with interest since the last quarterly payment; and that the quarterly payment was paid as interest for money borrowed.'
Thanks to Janette McLeman Carnie, Ann Stancombe, Peter Bunbury, Anthony Bunbury, Ken Baker, Victoria Tindal, Gill Miller, Sharon Oddie Brown, Cefyn Grafton, Mick Purcell, Bob Burnham (editor, The Napoleon Series), Rachel Harper (Marlstone School), Susann Anderson, Hazel Ogilvie, Rachel Finnegan, Martin Nevin and many others.
APPENDIX 1: HUGH MILL & THE EXETER CONNECTION - ANN STANCOMBE'S NOTES
Hugh Mill was the third of at least four children born to Thomas Mill. It is probable that he was born and lived in the parish of St Mary’s Arches, one of the smallest in Exeter, but none of the records that relate to Thomas or Hugh and his family give any addresses. The parish was largely destroyed by a combination of the Baedekker raids of World War II and 20th century town planners; most of the area is now a car park. Hugh was baptised at St Mary’s Arches Church on 9th January 1697. His eldest sister Margaret was baptised on 22nd January 1694, followed by Ann on 16th February 1695, then Hugh and finally Elizabeth on 18th August 1700. The parish registers do not give their mother’s name.
Thomas Mill was sufficiently wealthy to ensure his son Hugh was apprenticed to Thomas Copplestone, a grocer, and, on February 26th 1722, Hugh’s name was added to the Roll of Exeter Freemen. The guild system was still in operation in cities throughout England in the 18th century and worked to ensure favourable trading conditions for local merchants, as opposed to ‘foreigners’, who would be defined as anyone who was not a Freeman. The Mayor and Corporation, who effectively governed the civic affairs of Exeter, were elected by the freemen and came from their ranks. It was a necessary status to achieve if you wanted to be successful. There does not seem to be an entry on the Roll of Freemen for Thomas Mills.
Hugh married Elizabeth Gird on August 13th, 1733. The Gird family was another successful merchant family in Exeter. Christopher Gird was a fuller and his will, (available to download at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline, cost £3.50), gives a vivid picture of the man and his lifestyle. Christopher had an area of land to the north of the city, next to St. David’s Church, where he kept his wagons. The family lived in this developing area. It was where most of the fulling mills were located and it was here too that the tenter grounds were sited on sheltered slopes, facing south-west. By his wife Elizabeth, Christopher had six children who survived into adulthood. The eldest was another Christopher who was apprenticed to his father and became a Freeman in 1695. Henry was apprenticed to Isaac Gibbs, a grocer, becoming a Freeman in 1699. Nicholas and George had already begun their apprenticeships when their father died, but it appears from the Roll of Freemen that their indentures were then transferred to their eldest brother, Christopher. Both became fullers and Freemen of Exeter in 1708. There was another son, William, who has not yet been traced. Christopher also had two daughters, Elizabeth and Ursula, both of whom married. More than anything else, the size of his family is a clear indication of Christopher’s wealth. In his will he was able to leave over £900 to his family, together with the tenement where he lived and the land next to the church.
Mary Mills’ mother, Elizabeth Gird was one of the daughters of Henry Gird, the grocer son of Christopher the fuller. Henry had married Deborah Cornish on 16th March 1697 at St. David’s Church. Like the Mills family, Henry and Deborah seem to have lived in the parish of St Mary’s Arches as all their children were baptised there. Their eldest was Deborah, (baptised 23rd August 1702), then Christopher, (14May 1704). He was followed by Anna, (2nd May 1711), Elizabeth (9th March 1714), Mary (27th June 1716), and lastly Rebekah, (18th September 1721).
Hugh Mills and Elizabeth had five children. They were baptised at St Stephen’s Church, Exeter, which implies that Hugh and Elizabeth lived in this part of Exeter. Their eldest daughter was called Anna Elizabeth, (baptised 24th November 1734). She had been followed by another daughter, Margaret, (22nd October 1735), a son Thomas, (7 September 1736), Deborah, (19th December 1737) and Mary (20th November 1738).
Mary seems to have been particularly close to her unmarried sister Deborah, but the Gird women in general seem to have been close. Marlston House was owned by John Wightwick and he married Mary Gird. This Mary was the daughter of Christopher Gird, eldest son of Christopher. Mary was therefore Elizabeth Mills’ first cousin. Mary Gird and John Wightwick appear to have only had one daughter, another Mary, who married a London grocer called George Wyld. George died after only a few years of marriage and the couple had no children. Instead of leaving her estate to a male Wightwick cousin, which had clearly been her intention at some point, Mary Wyld left it to her cousin, Deborah Mills. Sadly Deborah Mills died just a few months after Mary Wyld and she left all her estates in Berkshire to an unmarried friend, Sarah Ouchterlony. She directed that Sarah should have a lifetime interest in the estates, but that on her death they should pass to one of Mary Bunbury’s children. The choice of which child was left to Sarah’s discretion. That it was Benjamin who was to inherit seems to have been decided many years before her death as he was to develop his association with the area over many years before finally inheriting the estate in 1817.
In her will of 1781, Deborah Mills, who described herself as being ‘of Topsham’, (a thriving port a few miles south of Exeter), left £100 to her nephew Hugh Mills Bunbury.
The wills of Deborah Mills, Sarah Ouchterlony and Christopher Gird (the elder), are all available online.
We do not yet have a record for the deaths of either Hugh or Elizabeth Mills. Elizabeth is described as a widow in a cousin’s will dated 1778. Elizabeth herself outlived her daughter Deborah who died in 1781, referring to her mother as ‘dearly beloved’ in her will.
With thanks to Ann Stancomb.
APPENDIX 2: THE MILLES FAMILY - A WRONG TURN
Before Mrs Ann Stancombe made contact, it was erroneously believed that Mary Mill who married Thomas Bunbury in 1758 was Mary Milles, the daughter of Dr. Jeremiah and Edith Milles. As I have done the research, I may as well include it here as an Appendix as it may be of help to someone else. Dr. Jeremiah Milles (1714-1784) was a well-connected man. His father, also Jeremiah, was a fellow and tutor of Balliol College, Oxford, and 42 years the Vicar of Duloe in Cornwall. Perhaps more importantly Dr. Milles was the nephew and heir of Dr Thomas Milles, Bishop of Waterford & Lismore, who died in 1740. He was also a first cousin of the Right Rev. Dr. Richard Pococke, Bishop of Meath. In later life, Dr. Milles was elected President of the Society of Antiquaries of London. He collected a large number of books and manuscripts, many of which are now with the British Museum. On 29th May 1745, Dr. Milles, then 31, married Edith Potter, the 'amiable, affectionate, and truly pious' 19-year-old youngest daughter of Dr. John Potter DD. (1) From 1737 until his death in October 1747, Dr. Potter was Archbishop of Canterbury. In his earlier life, this son of a Yorkshire linen draper had been chaplain to Queen Anne. Though dignified and firm in his belief, Dr. Potter was not always the most stimulating of companions. The Latin translation of the coronation sermon he preached on the accession of George II was reputedly one of the standard punishments given at Corpus Christi College as late as 1893. (2) Dr. Potter's father-in-law, Colonel Venner, was a grandson of the infamous Thomas Venner hung, drawn and quartered in 1661 for organizing a rising against the new central government of Charles II. Dr. Potter's dashing third son Thomas Potter, was a prominent MP, fashionable dandy and well known member of the Hellfire Club who died young of venereal disease in 1759 shortly after Mary Milles (Mill) married Thomas Bunbury. Edith's eldest sister Elizabeth married Rev. Thomas Tenison, later Prebendary of Canterbury, but died in childbirth in 1728. Her next sister Martha married George Sayer, later Archdeacon of Canterbury and a lover of Lady Baltimore. (3) The third sister married Rev. Thomas Tanner, sometime Prebendary and Canon of Canterbury and Rector of Hadleigh and Monks Eleigh, Suffolk. Edith Milles died aged 35 in 1761. The following summer, Jeremiah was appointed Dean of Exeter, a position he held until his death at London's Harley Street on 13th February 1784. He was buried at the church of St. Edmund-the-King, Lombard Street, London, where an elegant monument by Bacon is inscribed to his memory.
The Potter family website (http://keithblayney.com/Blayney/Potter.html) mentions three sons (Jeremiah, Richard, Thomas) and two daughters (Charlotte, Harriet) born to Jeremiah and Edith, most of whom seem to have been christened at St. Peter's Cathedral in Exeter. The eldest son Jeremiah Milles (1751 -1797) was Lord of the Manor of Pishobury and married Rose Gardiner (1757 - 1835), sole daughter and heiress of Edward Gardiner.