Turtle Bunbury

Writer and Historian

 
Random Quote
Random Date

FAMILY

BUNBURY FAMILY HISTORY

 

McClintock of Seskinore

image title

‘Seskinore Lodge, the seat of Mrs Perry (relict of George) is part and parcel of the Seskinore estate, and comprehends a neat and fashionable lodge, a tastefully planted lawn, and about sixty Irish acres of a farm, well adapted to the growth of flax and corn crops, and to that of garden vegetables and ornamental trees. The demesne however lies low, and the prospect from the lodge is exclusively confined to the little beauties of the home view; in which the rose, the sweet William, and the sweet brier, seem to vie, which shall diffuse the larger proportion of its fragrance through the surrounding scene.’[i]

The Church of Ireland (St Fechin’s) at Termonfeckin was built in 1792 to the design of Francis Johnston. Four of the monuments in the church bear coats of arms. The first to Alexander McClintock (of Newtown House) bears the McClintock crest (a lion) above the inscription. The McClintock and Perry impaled coat of arms and the McClintock motto are beneath the inscription. An impaled coat of arms has the husband’s arms appearing on the ‘dexter’side (left to the viewer), while the arms on the ‘sinister’ side (right to the viewer) are for the wife. In this case the dexter side has the McClintock arms (containing three escallops) and the sinister side has the Perry arms (containing three crowns) for Alexander McClintock and his wife Mary Perry.

 

THE AQUISITION OF SESKINORE

In 1724, Alexander McClintock (1692-1775) purchased the Lands of Tullyrush, Drumconnelly and Seskanore [aka Seskinore] in County Tyrone from Henry Mervyn, son of Sir Audley Mervyn. It is thought that he subsequently bequeathed these lands to his nephew Alexander McClintock of Newtown. That said, an alternative theory holds that these lands were conveyed to the Perry family and came to the younger Alexander through his marriage in 1781 to Mary Perry.

The McClintock and Perry families were closely inter-related since the 17th century, not least through the Lowry family. Alexander the younger's mother Janet McClintock (nee Lowry) of Trintaugh was a full sister of Catherine Perry (nee Lowry) of Moyloughmore. As such Alexander McClintock and George Perry of Perrymount were 1st cousins.

ALEXANDER McCLINTOCK (1746-1796)

Alexander McClintock (above) of Newtown House, Co. Louth, was a son of John and Janet McClintock and a younger brother of Bumper Jack McClintock. Born on 30 March 1746. He worked with the East India Company but died on Dec. 14th 1796 aged 50 years. In December 1781 he married Mary Perry, a daughter of Samuel Perry of Perrymount and Mullaghmore [Moyloughmore]. Co. Tyrone Esq., with whom he had two sons, John and Samuel, and three daughters. Mary died on Feb 9 1817 aged 55 years.

According to the will of Mary McClintock’s brother, George Perry ‘ of Seskanore Lodge’, dated 1824, he bequeathed his estate to his wife for life and thereafter to his nephew Samuel McClintock, son of Alexander and Mary.

DEFENDERS ATTACK NEWTOWN, CHRISTMAS DAY 1793

December 25th 1793 - Newtown, the feat of Mr. M'Clintock, in the county of Louth, was attacked by a numerous body of Defenders, who fired many shots into it. [To the magistrates, the military, and the yeomanry of Ireland [signed Camillus, by Sir Richard Musgrave, 1st Bart, 1899, p.

Dublin - Jan 1: The accounts from the county of Louth, with respect to the proceedings of a banditti, calling themselves Defenders, grow daily more alarming; near forty houses have been attacked, belonging to Protestants, for the purpose of plundering them of their arms and most of the attacks have been successful. Among those whose houses were attacked was Mr Owen's of Roxborough, Mr Henry Brabazon, Mr JT Foster of Stone house, Mr Blacker, Mr Hanlon, Mr M'Clintock &c. At the latter place they met with resistance and were beaten off. This banditti were linked together by an oath of secrecy and they have their regular leaders and captains; they train themselves by night in the practice of firearms, or execute plans of robbery. Lust week these daring insurgents are said to have met in Dunleer in very great numbers, perhaps from 1500 to 2000, some armed with guns, some with pitchforks, but it does not appear they had any settled object. The army were immediately dispatched from Dundalk and on their approach the mob dispersed. On Saturday morning about thirty of these men were, about the hour of six, fighting in the streets at Castlebellingham when the Mail Coach arrived there from Drogheda, and the Mail Guard, having left the post bag at the Post office was returning to the inn when he was violently attacked; but having his pistols in his belt, he immediately fired one of them at the mob and effected his retreat to the inn; however the door was soon forced, and overpowered by numbers, he was robbed of his pistols and cut and otherwise abused, insomuch that his life is despaired of; however it does not appear that there was the smallest intention on the part of the rioters to attack the Mail as some of them told the passengers in the coach that they took the Guard to be a military man from his dress’. (The Gentleman's Magazine, and Historical Chronicle, Volume 63, Part 1, E. Cave, 1793, p. 81)

Walker's Hibernian Magazine subsequently stated that six men were to stand trial of the attack but when the men came before the Spring Assizes at Dundalk before the Hon. Justice Chamberlaine, they were aquitted in what I would have thought was a rare case of such defendants triumphing over their accusers. Saunders's News-Letter ran the following on Wednesday 26 March 1794:

"Mathew Kirwan, Patrick Teernan, Patrick Kenny, James Morgan, Dennis M‘Kenna alias’ Thomas M‘Kenna, and Richard Kelly, were tried upon four indictments, for attacking the house of Alexander M‘Clintock, of Newtown, on the 25th of December 1793. The evidence in this cafe, produced on the part of the Crown, were Mr. M'Clintock, who proved the attack, and of there having been several shots fired which broke the windows of his houfe, but could not identify the prifoners. The next witnefs was Thomas Murphy, an approver, who fwore he was with the prifoners at the bar and others, at the attack on the above night - that they were armed wfith guns and blunderbusses, and were all sworn Defenders, and determined to plunder the hoofe of arms and ammunition; his testimony was in some respects not consistent, and several gentlemen were produced, who gave evidence that he was not a person to be credited on his oath — and they knew him to be guilty of several robberies. — The Jury after retiring for a few minutes, found the prisoners — not guilty."

Walker's Hibernian Magazine (R. Gibbons, 1794, p. 379) is available on Google Books, and includes further deatils of the case).

image title

Above: John Knox McClintock, courtesy of Michael McClintock. His peculiarly
shaped right hand suggests he may have been injured.

COLONEL JOHN KNOX McCLINTOCK (1864-1936)

The last McClintock to reside at Seskinore was Colonel John Knox McClintock (1864-1936), CBE (1921), DL, JP, High Sheriff (1891) of Seskinore and Ecclesville, Co, Tyrone. He was born on 8 February 1864, the second son of Lt Col. George Perry McClintock (1839-1887), DL, JP, of Seskinore (who served as ADC to the Duke of Abercorn and Earl Spencer, when Lord Lieutenant of Ireland) by his marriage to Amelia Harriet, daughter of the Rev Samuel Alexander of Termon, Co. Tyrone. JKM was six years old when his older brother Beresford George Perry McClintock died on 31 January 1870, aged nine, leaving JKM as heir to Seskinore. Educated at Cheltenham and Oxford Military College, he joined the 4th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in 1881, becoming its Lieutenant Colonel in 1909. He commanded the 3rd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers from 1909-1919, becoming Brevet Colonel in 1917, and served in WW1 from 1914-1918 (despatches). At the height of the Easter Rising, the 3rd Inniskillings captured Liberty Hall after it had been shelled by the Helga and laid claim to the green harp flag that hung from the building; in 1935, Col. John handed it in to the Inniskillings Museum in Enniskillen Castle, where it now hangs. Colonel McClintock later served as ADC to Governor of Northern Ireland Co. Commdt., Special Constab., Co. Tyrone 1920, Vice-Chairman, Tyrone County Council, Master of the Seksinore Hounds (1887-1905 and 1922-36).

XENIA

In April 1893 Colonel John Knox McClintock married Amy Henrietta, eldest daughter and co-heiress of John Stuart Eccles, DL, of Eccelsville, Co. Tyrone; their marriage was dissolved and she died in Surrey. The colonel died on 24 October 1936, leaving a daughter Leila Isobel Eccels McClintock who, born in 1895. Leila married Harold Field, divorced him, married Anthony Joynsen-Wreford, and also died in 1936 but I do not know if she outlived her father or not. Leila died of meningitis when their daughter Xenia McClintock, the last of the Seskinore McClintocks, was very small; her husband Anthony (Wilfred?) died of TB in Switzerland in 1940. Seskinore was sold after the war by Xenia's guardians to the Forestry Commission. Xenia was never consulted or told of her genealogy; she was brought up by a guardian. Her husband died young and she moved to Australia with their three children. She came over to visit Seskinore a decade ago.

With the death of JKM, the head of this branch became his nephew Captain Hubert Victor Perry McClintock, DSO, RN, who had married Josephine Patricia Cleeve of Oaklands, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary. (Yvonne McClintock is a niece of HVPM). She later married but

 

 

Articles