Turtle Bunbury

Writer and Historian

Random Quote
Random Date





GEORGE BEERE (1718-1799)

The earliest known ancestor of the Beere family was George Beere who was reputedly born in Dublin in 1718.[i] He worked and lived in Skinner-row from 1749 until 1774 when he retired. Situated close to Dublin Castle, Skinner Row and neighbouring Crompton Court marked the center of Dublin’s gold and jewelry trade in the 18th and early 19th century.

On 12th March 1745 (the year of Culloden), George Beere married Susanna Molyneaux (sometimes Susan) at the Protestant Church of St. Anne in Dublin.[ii] They are said to have had seven sons, of whom Daniel (see below) was the youngest.[iii] Their daughter Susanna was baptized in St. Anne’s church in 1749.[iv]

George and Susanna were still living at Skinner Row when their sons Philip and Daniel were baptized in St. Werburgh’s on 28 April 1753 and 10 June 1757 respectively.[v] Of their other sons, the third was Richard Beere, who became a secondary at the Remembrancer’s Office and died in September 1809. I would suggest another was George Beere, born circa 1751, who lived at Camden Street, worked as a legal agent and died in 1844 aged 93. More on him follows below.

I also think that George and Susanna were probably the parents of William Beere, goldsmith, of Rathmines, who is referred to in the Freemans Journal (Friday, June 30, 1820) as voting in the City of Dublin Election that summer at which Henry Grattan and Thomas Ellis were the candidates.[vi] They also had a daughter Ann who married Mr. Mahon.

Christie’s have auctioned items bearing George's hallmark - the initials ‘G.B.’ – such as a baluster floral stems with moulded sockets dated 1745, and other pieces dating to 1750 and 1760.[vii] There is a suggestion that he made a Eucharistic paten at Llanllwni that bore the Dublin hallmark of 1725 along with the initials ‘G.B’, but this is perhaps early for him.[ix] Kurt Ticher attributes a very early specimen of asymmetrical rococo repousse decoration on Irish silver, dated 1745, to George Beere. (‘The decoration of scrolls and flowers and the rococo cartouche leave large areas of the surface plain, which is a feature of contemporary decoration’).[x] There was also a large silver spoon (reported stolen in 1753[xi]) and ‘the top of a silver sand box, belonging to an ink stand, supposed to be stolen’ (reported in 1756[xii]).

In 1754, George was elected Warden of the Dublin Goldsmith’s Company, the body charged with controlling the manufacture of gold and silver wares throughout Ireland.[viii] In 1765 he was one of a long line of goldsmiths to be appointed Churchwarden of St. Werburgh’s.[xiii] On May 17th 1766, he signed his name to an address by some 600 merchants, traders, freeholders and citizens of Dublin to their representatives in the Parliament on College Green in which they complained, in acrimonious terms, about the rejection of a Money Bill which had been passed by the Irish parliament only to be rejected by the British cabinet. The address maintained they would never assent to any money bill of longer duration than six months, until a law be passed for a septennial limitation of parliament.[xiv]

In February 1774, George gave the following notice of his intention to quit the business: ‘Now selling by George Beere, Goldsmith, at the Sign of Justice in Skinner-row, who is quitting business, plate and jewellery work under prime cost, prices as follow; Candlesticks light and fashionable, 8s per Oz-Cups of sizes fashionable 7s per Oz-Plain butter boats, burnished 7s 6d per Oz-Chased boats and guderooned ditto, burnished 8s per Oz-Polished plain waiters 7s 10d per Oz-Chased waiters 8 s per Oz-Table spoons 7s per Oz-Salts of all fashions, desert and tea spoons 8s 8d per Oz-A neat Roman chalice 7s 7d per Oz-With a few very fine diamond cluster rings, which will be sold much under first cost. Set shoe and knee buckles; gold lockets, garnets, and other rings, snuff boxes, tea tongs, a fine parcel of amber, corral, agate and cocoa beans for men and women; with silver crosses of all sizes, &c.’[xv]

George Beere died on 14th June 1799, aged 81, and was buried beneath a tombstone in the graveyard of St Kevin's church in Camden Row, Dublin. [xvi] Susanna survived him until December 1808 when she died aged 87.

According to Brian Cantwell's 'Memorials of the Dead', several Beere family members are buried in the plot, including a daughter (Ann Mahon, died June 1777) and a son (Richard), as well as George Beere of Camden Street and his wife Mary Anne and two of their children.

DANIEL BEERE (1757-1831)

Daniel Beere was born in Skinner Row in 1757 and is believed to have been the seventh son of George and Susanna Beere. He was made a Freeman of the Goldsmiths Company in 1773, having served as an apprentice to his father.[xvii] On 5th December 1776, the 19-year-old was admitted to the Kings Inns in Dublin. In 1789, he added his signature to a list of well-to-do Dubliners who applauded the efforts of the Rt. Hon. Walter Burgh in trying to ride out an economic depression.

On 14th December 1776, he was nominated as a secondary to the Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer's Office by Richard Morgan, the Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer. He thus became one of Dublin City's foremost Law Officers, as well as its deputy Head of Protocol, with responsibility to maintain and enhance the City’s status and to ensure that its established rights are safeguarded. Considering this was the eve of Grattan’s Parliament and Dublin’s remarkable late 18th century boom, Daniel’s timing couldn’t have been better. This was actually a lifelong appointment, paid by fees and gratuities. His brother Richard Beere was ‘in like manner nominated and appointed by deed, dated 2nd of May 1778’. Daniel remained in that office until 1830. He was also Deputy Pursuivant of the Court of Exchequer. In 1820 and 1825 he was listed as a "secondary", along with Joshua Nunn, at the time when the Earl of Donoughmore was Lord Treasurer.[xviii]

Much of the detail of Daniel’s career can be found in a thorough investigation that the Court of Exchequer made into duties, salaries and emoulements in 1823 and early 1824, by which time he had been nearly 50 years in the office.[xix] When asked to explain what a secondary did, Daniel explained as follows: ‘I attend the court and the barons, to take down the rules and orders in revenue cases, and the rule books are solely kept by me; I enter all against sheriffs for not accounting, not paying tots, and not perfecting accounts; and against clerks of the crown and peace, and other officers having returns of estreats, for not making such returns.’ Full details about what he was paid and such like can be found in the Commissioner’s Report online. He worked from ten until four on weekdays, and during term from seven until nine in the evening.

As the Court noted, ‘the duty of the secondary is to make out the several orders pronounced by the court of Exchequer on the Revenue side, and to see that they are duly entered in the books allotted to that purpose; to make out all writs issued from said office; to transcribe the nils from the pipe, and issue the same in process to the different sheriff's; to attend the apposal of every sheriff on passing his accounts in court; to file and preserve in regular order all affidavits and other documents necessary to be filed, and make copies thereof if required, to draw all certificates, enrol deeds, mark, make up and enrol judgments, and enrol all other documents requiring to be enrolled in said office; to draw and enter the constats of sheriffs, and to enter the transcripts of sheriffs accounts, and generally to preserve and keep General Return of in regular order the several books, files, rolls and records, belonging to said office.

On Oct 31, 1786, he was named along with Mr. Molesworth Greene as a character witness for two men called Samuel Watson and Edward Keefe who were charged with burglary on the house of Walter Radford on Exchange Alley.[xx]

In 1788, he was named as a subscriber to Robert Hitchcok’s tome ‘An historical view of the Irish stage: from the earliest period down to the close of the season 1788’ (R. Marchbank, 1788).

In early 1791, Daniel married Margaret Butler (sometimes Mary), only daughter of Gerald (Garrett) Butler, Esq., of Ballyadams, Queen's County, Ireland. Their marriage was noted in Finns Leinster Journal on Saturday, January 29, 1791, in which she is named as ‘Miss Butler’.[xxi] This branch of the Butlers descended from James, 6th Lord Dunboyne, who died in 1445. Margaret was a sister of Major General Sir Edward Gerald Butler (1770-1824) who, soon after her marriage to Daniel Beere, was promoted Lieutenant in the 14th Regiment of Dragoons. Three years later, 24-year-old Cornet Edward Butler, 15th Dragoons, came to prominence during the Battle of Villers-en-Cauchies of 1794 as one of eight British officers awarded a gold medal by the Austrian leader, Emperor Francis II. He was later created a Knight of the Military Order of Maria Theresia for the same action which enabled him to call himself Sir Edward. He later served with distinction at the attack on Montevideo and the assault on Buenos Aires. He was also entrusted with the capture of Mauritius in 1810. He died at Ballyadams on 30th November 1825. [xxi.a]

It would appear that Daniel and Margaret had a son Samuel who was baptized in St. Peter’s church on 15 March 1792.[xxii] He may have been the Samuel Beere, silversmith, who became a Freeman of the Dublin Goldsmiths' Company in 1818 and who, with the hallmark ‘S.B.’, designed a 1824 sugar bowl auctioned by John O’Reilly in 1974.[xxiii] Samuel Beere’s 1824 creations include a circular salver, a cake basket and a George IV Irish teapot (of compressed slightly melon fluted globular). He also made salt cellars, a ceremonial trowe and a Repousse Leaf tea set.

Aside from Samuel Beere (who may or may not have been his son) Daniel had at least four more sons (George, Gerald, Edward and Daniel) and five daughters (Susan, Charlotte, Anne, Margaret and Rosetta Adeline). Their details are as follows:

1. George Beere was baptized a Protestant in St. Audeon’s on 21st April 1793.[xxiv] The National Archives in London hold a letter written on 23 April 1807 by Colonel Doyle of the 87th Regiment of Foot to Horse Guards in Whitehall, London, recommending various appointments be made to fill up vacancies for officers within his regiment. One of his recommendatons was" ____ Beere Gent - (nephew of Sir Edwd Butler & formerly recommended by him) to be Ensn Vice Laurenson". Sir Edward Butler was a Lieutenant-Colonel in Doyle's regiment so it was family connections that brought George into the same regiment. This letter is held in collection WO 31/227 (Commander in Chief Memoranda - April 1807). On Tuesday, August 27, 1839, the Freeman’s Journal published a War Office update that Captain George Beer was to be transferred from the 1st West India Regiment to the 14th Foot to succeed Bingley Broadhead as Captain. (Broadhead retired at half-pay, unattached).[xxv] George died at sea in Barbados on 14th January 1840, aged 47. He left one son, Col. Daniel Beere (who was baptised as a Catholic in 1826) and a daughter, Margaret Beere, who was born in Bray, County Wicklow, in June 1824. After her father's death, Margaret went to live with her widowed mother in Kent. She never married and died in Gravesend in 1866, nearly three years before her mother died. There is a broken white marble slab to George's memory in St. Paul’s Churchyard, Barbados. [With thanks to Paul Cope for additional information].

2. Rev. Gerald Beere, born c1796, served his apprenticeship to his father, and acted in the office, but later went into Holy Orders. In 1827, he married Mary, eldest daughter of General Armstrong, R.A., and had issue. He officiated at the weddings of his sisters Charlotte Eason (1820) and Margaret Sherwin (1843). He was a rector in Westmeath and prebendary of Limerick cathedral. He died in Ireland in 1876. Gerald and Mary had at least nine children born in Westmeath, most of whom emigrated to Australia or New Zealand.[xxvi - see also Appendix 1.]

3. Edward Beere, went to Australia, married and had issue.

4. Daniel Beere, m., and had issue. [xxvii] He may have been the Daniel Beere who co-founded Armstrong, Beere & Hime, Civil Engineers, Draughtsmen & Photographists in Toronto with William Armstrong (a kinsman of Gerald Beere’s wife?) and the Armagh-born Mr. Hime. This Daniel returned to Ireland circa 1866.

5. Susan Beere.

6. Charlotte Beere, the second daughter, was married in Taney Church on 3rd October 1820 to William Maxwell Eason, Esq., of Stephen’s Green. Her brother the Rev. Gerald Beere officiated. Charlotte and William’s son, Henry Daniel Eason was also baptized at Taney Church.[xxix]

7. Anne Beere.

8. Margaret Beere – the Nenagh Guardian (Wednesday, November 08, 1843) noted her marriage on Nov 2nd in St. George’s Church to the Rev. A. Sherwin of Tullylis, Co. Down. Her brother the Rev. Gerald Beere again officiated.[xxx]

9. Rosetta Adeline Beere.

In 1802, the Beeres moved into Mount Anville House (now the girls school) where they remained until 1826. In 1837, ‘Mount Anville, Roebuck’ was put up for sale by Mr. Sherlock of 101 Abbey Street. He stated that he had personally built the house ‘within the last 14 years’ – ie: circa 1823 – and that it sat on 7.5 ‘beautifully planted’ acres.[xxxii]

In 1808, the East India Company Accounts, as submitted to the House of Commons in Westminster, noted:

‘Daniel Beere, esq. overseer,- for one year, to keep in repair and free from nuisances, the necessary parts of 218 perches of the road from Dublin to Bray, by Roebuck, commencing at Lawler's forge at the Crossroads, one-of which leads to Kilmacud, and from thence over the hill of Roebuck to the end of Merrion Avenue, at the corner of Lord Fitzwilliam's deer park wall, opposite to the house formerly the Rev. Doctor Guinness's, and lately occupied by William Disney, esq. all on the townland of Roebuck, parish of Taney, within six miles of Dublin Castle, at 6d. per perch.’[xxxi]

In 1806 Daniel Beere and John Townsend Sinnett were appointed churchwardens of the parish of Taney. He was again appointed to that position in 1815, the year of Waterloo, along with William Ridgeway.[xxxiii] According to a list of voters and their votes in the 1820 City of Dublin election that appeared in the Freeman's Journal, Daniel Beer, Roebuck, goldsmith, lent his support to Thomas Ellis.[xxxiv]

He died on 3rd October 1831 at Havre de Gras in France, aged 74.


George Beere junior of Camden Street is believed to have been a son of George and Susan Beere.[xxxv] He was born circa 1751 and may have gone straight into the legal profession. It is possible that he was the Mr. Beere, Attorney, mentioned as purchasing a £1000 lotto ticket at the office of Beatty & Hazard, 32 Skinner Row in the Freemans Journal (Saturday, December 14, 1776). He would have been 25 at this time.

In 1782, the Freemans Journal (Tuesday, April 09, 1782) referred to an incident the previous Sunday when, at 2 o’clock, George Beere junior (then about 30 years old) of Camden Street was making his way to his fathers’ house in ‘**ld Street’ and was ‘stopped on Redmond’s Hill by four footpads [ie: thieves] armed who knocked him down, and [bet?] him in a desperate manner, but did not rob him … some persons happened to come up, which obliged the villains to retire without their booty’.[xxxvi]

By his wife Mary Anne, George was father to another George Beere who is said to have been born in 1791.[xxxvii]

Another son Samuel Beere was born on 15 May 1792 and baptised at St. Peters. He died on 16th November 1818 aged 26 and is thus not to be confused with the silversmith of that name who was operating in the 1820s.

George and Mary Ann had a daughter who became Margaret Willoe and who died on 2nd May 1827 aged 33.

In 1812, George became a Freeman of Dublin.[xxxviii]

In 1822, George Beere contributed 6 shillings per Mr. Twyercross towards the Stranger’s Friends Society of which Francis White, 4 Upper Camden St, was secretary.[xxxix] By December 1826, George Beere of No. 3 Upper Dominick Street was described as the ‘Agent to the Assignee’ for a sale by auction a the Royal Exchange Coffee Room of No.’s 14 and 15 Cork Street (plus warehouses and yards) which were the former cotton manufacturing premises of a bankrupt businessman called Samuel Jackson.[xl]

George Beere died at his house in Camden Street on 22nd November 1844 aged 92.[xli] His wife Mary Anne had predeceased him on 13th June 1825. His son George Beere III (1791-1875) was a solicitor who operated from the above-mentioned 3 Upper Dominick Street in 1853.[xlii] He was still listed as a solicitor in 1861

On November 15th 1855, the Rev. Francis J Beere of Toomna, Co. Roscommon, eldest son of George Beere III, was married at Elphin to Ellen Martha, second daughter of the late Rev. Thomas Flynn of Elphin.[xliii]

On July 20th 1864, George Beere III’s fifth son Arthur James Beere was married at the Parish Church of Clara, Co. Offaly, to Matilda Francis, youngest daughter of Llundy Dickinson, Esq, JP, of Spring Lawn, Clara.[xliv]

Another of George Beere III’s sons was William Henry Beere, a lieutenant in the 74th Highlanders, who moved to New Zealand in 1863 and settled down as a sheep farmer at Cust in the Ashley valley, North Canterbury. He married at St James, Oxford, Canterbury, Isabella Mary the eldest daughter of Lundy Dickinson of Spring Lawn, King County. Their eldest daughter, Frances Jane Beere was born 27th Jan 1869 and married William Francis Hilson at St Andrews, Christchurch, 4th Nov 1903 and had issue. William and Isabella both died at Clare Rd, St Albans, Christchurch in 1896, William 21st July and Isabella 18th Jan. Their other known children were Margaret Henrietta Beere (1870-1963) [who joined the Catholic Church as Sister Margaret Community of the Sacred Name in Christchurch], George Alfred 1873 and Frederick Charles 1876.


With thanks to John Rogers , ViCTORIA BRENNAN, PAUL COPE , anna bryson , SIMON YOUNG and Wyn Beere.

The Beeres of St. Helena


Nenon Francis Beere was the fifth child and fourth son of the Rev. Gerald Beere (c1796-1876), mentioned above as a son of the Dublin goldsmith Daniel Beere variously a rector in Westmeath, rector of Adare and a prebendary of Ballycahane in Limerick and of Limerick cathedral.

Nenon was born in Kilbixy, Ballynacargy, Co. Westmeath circa 1837. On 18th March 1863, he married Thomasine Brown Brady, daughter of Reverend Thomas Browne Brady of Raheens Manor, Co. Clare. She was born in Co. Clare circa 1839. They appear to have moved to the volcanic island of St. Helena soon after their marriage as their eldest son Gerald was born there in March 1864. And they were still on the island when their third son Francis was born in 1870. In total, they had six children – four sons (Gerald, Windham, Francis and Clement) and two daughters (Constance and Aimee).

It is not yet known what brought them to St. Helena, the island made famous when it effectively served as a prison for Napoleon from 1815 until his death in 1821. A British naval station has been established on the island nearly quarter of a century before the newly-wedded Beeres arrived to suppress the African slave trade. Between 1840 and 1849 over 15,000 freed slaves, known as "Liberated Africans", were landed there.

On their return from St Helena in the 1870s, the family took up residence at Abercorn House, Dublin and later at Bayview, Greystones, Co. Wicklow. Their four sons were all educated at Rathmines School. By 1901, 64-year-old Nenon, a staff member for the Engineer Services, was living at 31 Charleston Road, Rathmines, Dublin, with his 62-year-old wife Thomasina, his daughters Constance Evelyn (aged 27, born in Cheshire) and Aimee Irene (aged 18, born in Dublin) and a 21-year-old servant Bridget Reilly.

By 1911, 72-year-old Thomasina was living on ‘an income from dividends’ at 11 Dalkey Avenue, Dublin, with her daughters Constance Evelyn (aged 37, born in England) and Aimee Irene (aged 28, born in Dublin).


Nenon and Thomasine’s eldest son the Rev. Gerald Nenon O’Grada Beere, born at St. Helena on 19th March 1864.[i] He earned a BA in Divinity from Trinity College Dublin in the 1880s before going into the church. He was curate of Laragh, Co. Cavan (1889-1891), curate of Drumbeg, Co. Down (1891-­-1894), incumbent of the Bright diocese in Downpatrick (income £143 and house, 1894-c1902?) and of Larne and Inver (until his death). He was married in Swansea, Wales, in 1894, to Co. Down-born Margaret Maude Macklin. He died in Belfast on 17th October 1906, aged 42, leaving £283, probate to his widow and to James Moore Mack, merchant. By 1911, Margaret was living by 'private means' at a residence on Elderslie Street, St. Marks, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. The Rev. G. R. O. Beere was father of Lionel O’Sullivan Beere (1902-1980), Anglican clergyman of the South Pacific, as well as Gerald Macklin Beere (born 1896, Lloyds bank manager) and Mary Eileen Beere (born 1898).

WYNDHAM BEERE (1868-1949)

Nenon and Thomasine’s second son Wyndham Irby Fitzgerald Beere was born in St. Helena on 11th April 1871. He was christened into the Church of England. He was educated at Rathmines School (at which time his father appears was living at Bayview, Greystones).[ii] On 2nd December 1899 he was married at St. Stephen’s Church on Mount Street to Eleanor Maud Fry of 49 Lower Mount Street, daughter of James Fry, a commercial traveller.

At the time of the marriage, Wyndham was employed as a Commercial Clerk and living on Charleston Road, Rathmines. His father was described as a Royal Engineer with office at Dublin Castle. As well as his father-in-law James Fry, the other witness was Eleanor’s cousin Marie McNeilage (standing in for his wife). The staff at the Engineering Service in Dublin presented something (not sure what!) to Wyndham and Eleanor on their marriage. This is corroborated by his occupation on the 1901 census which was as a clerk on the Staff for the Royal Engineer Services department at Dublin Castle, presumably alongside his father.

By 1901, the 34-year-old was living at 33 Lower Mount Street with his 25-year-old wife Eleanor, his 49-year-old English father-in-law James Fry, his 47-year-old mother-in-law Martha and his wife’s 22-year-old cousin Marie A McNeilage. There was also a visitor, Jane Shore, a 25-year-old clerk from Queen’s County. Eleanor, Martha and Marie were all born in Kingstown, aka Dun Laoghaire. Everyone was Church of Ireland except Marie who was Presbyterian.

Wyndham and Eleanor subsequently emigrated to Canada, possibly after the death of his father in 1906. Her mother also died between 1901 and 1911 and her father James Fry moved to No. 3 Greenville Terrace (Merchant's Quay, Dublin) where he was recorded on the 1911 census as a tea merchant and living with his 24-year-old niece Annie Leahy.[iii]

By 1916, Wyndham was 5 foot 8 at the time with a 36-inch chest a 3 inch expansion. He was working as a clerk in Goderich, Ontario, when the Great War broke out. He enlisted at Goderich on 22nd March 1916 aged 44. On that date, his wife – now described as Maud Eleanor Beere - had an address at 433 Ridout Street, London, Ontario. His regimental number was 654670.

Wyndham served as a Private in the 161st (Huron) Battalion of the Canadian Infantry, embarking for England on board the Harland & Wolff built SS Lapland on 1 Nov 1916. The battalion fielded 28 officers and 749 Ors, under the command of Lt Col. H. B. Combe, and arrived in England on 11th November 1916.[iv]

Wyndham’s service record after this date is unknown but, after landing in England, the 161st was posted to Witley, Surrey. And then they headed to the Western Front. Wyndham was, of course, lucky to survive the war. For instance, Private Frederick William Stokes, who enlisted at Goderich three days after Wyndham did not fare so well and was killed in action at Cambrai on September 27th 1918, aged 43.

Wyndham died in 1949 aged 80 and was buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Section 1, 303 Riverside Dr, London, Ontario. Curiously his headstone gives his name as ‘Windham I. F. Beere’ and is inscribed ‘Thy Will Be Done’. She died in 1951 and appears to have been buried alongside him. It does not look like he had any children.[v]


Wyndham’s younger brother Francis John Armstrong Beere was born in St Helena on 20th (or 30th) March 1870 and educated at Rathmines, where he was awarded the Hebrew Prize in 1888, and Trinity College, Dublin, from which he was awarded the degrees of BA in 1894 and MA in 1898. In 1894 Francis Beere was ordained for the curacy of Clongish, Co. Longford, in the diocese of Ardagh. He moved to Streete, Co. Westmeath in 1897 and was appointed rector there in 1900. By the time of the 1901 census, he was living at the vicarage in Streete with his pregnant 30-year-old Kildare-born wife Lucie Maude Potteron.[vi] She was the daughter of Frederic Potterton, Dean of Ardagh, and Julia Esther (née Switzer), and grew up at Moyvalley House, the Switzers’ nineteen-bedroom residence in Co. Meath. Francis and Lucie were married at Longford Church by Bishop Alfred Elliott on 24th October 1898.

In 1907 he was appointed rector of Forgney, Co. Longford, and bishop’s surrogate. By 1911 he and Lucie had two daughters, Thekla June (9) and Jocelyn Ruth (4), known as Joy. Thekla’s unusual Christian name was inspired by her father's study of Greek at university. In 1913 he became rector of Kilbrixey, Ballynacargy, Co. Westmeath, and his final appointment was to Kells, Co. Meath, where he served from 1924 until his death on 12 May 1932. During his time at Kells, Francis also served as private chaplain to Bishop Collins of Meath and as bishop’s surrogate on the issue of marriage licenses. He was a member of the Meath Diocesan Board of Education and the Glebes Committee; he was also an active member of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts.[vii]

The large turn out at his funeral at St. Columba’s Graveyard in Kells, Co. Meath, included his widow, his daughters Thekla and Jocelyn (now Mrs Herbert Lowry), his sisters Miss Beere and Mrs. Wilkinson (of Newtownpark, Trim), his brother Rev. Clement Beere (Rector of Laracor), his nephews Nenon Beere and Stanley Beere, and Mr. George Lowry. The Bishop of Meath, assisted by rev. F.S. Atkinson and Rev. W. R. Camier officiated.[viii]

In spite of her double-minority status (as a Protestant and a woman) Thekla Beere (1901-1991) reached the top of the Irish Civil Service. Beere was invited in her retirement to chair the National Commission on the Status of Women.[ix] See 'No Coward Soul - A Biography of Thekla Beere' by Anna Bryson for more on how she became an acknowledged expert on shipping, railways and labour issues.


Wyndham’s youngest brother Hugh Clement Beere was born on 16 May 1876, married Eileen Mary Stanley and, like two of his three brothers, joined the church. He was variously Rector of Laracor Church (where Jonathan Swift was once based), Kilmessan and Galtrim in Co. Meath.


[i] See ‘Blain Biographical Directory of Anglican clergy in the South Pacific’, p. 95.
[ii] Rathmines School: Ora et labora. The school roll from the beginning of the school in 1858 till its close in 1899, Thomas Frederick Figgis, Charles William Benson, printed at the University press by Ponsonby and Gibbs, 1932. Page 68.
[iii] The census gives his age as 659, though it should say 59. See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Merchant_s_Quay/Greenville_Terrace/67303/
[iv] Lieut-Col. H. B. Combe stepped down as commander on 16th May 1917 and Lieut-Col. R. Murdie, DSO, took command on June 28th. The 161st was absorbed into the 4th Reserve Battalion on February 15th 1918 with Lieut-Col. Murdie stepping down as commander eight days later. The regiment was formally disbanded on 15 Sep 1920.
[v] See http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/ON/ONM12701/1/
[vi] Also in the house was 66 year old servant Sarah Challen.
[vii] Meath Chronicle, 21 May 1932.
[viii] The Irish Times, Tuesday, May 17, 1932, p. 5.
[ix] See: Anna Bryson, No Coward Soul: A Biography of Thekla Beere, IPA, Dublin, 2009.



[i] ‘Blain Biographical Directory of Anglican clergy in the South Pacific’, p. 95.

[ii] Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. ANNE: Marriage of GEORGE BEERE of N/R and SUSANNA MOLYNEAUX of N/R on 12 March 1745

[iii] BLAIN BIOGRAPHICAL DIRECTORY of Anglican clergy in the South Pacific, p. 95.

[iv] Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. ANNE: Baptism of SUSANNA BEERE of SKINNER ROW on N/R December 1749

[v] Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. WERBURGH Area - DUBLIN (COI):

Baptism of PHILIP BEERE of SKINNER ROW on 28 April 1753 - Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. WERBURGH Area - DUBLIN (COI)

Baptism of DANIEL BEERE of SKINNER ROW on 10 June 1757 - Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. WERBURGH Area-Dublin (COI)

[vi] William’s wife Rose Anne was one of the Williams family – her brother John was an East India Company official and his son Edward Ellerker Williams (1793 - 1822) was a retired army officer who became friends with Percy Bysshe Shelley in the final months of his life and was drowned alongside him. Her other brothers included Trevor William of Drogheda and George Williams of 64 Grafton Street. Notes and queries, Volume 157, Oxford Journals (Firm) (Oxford University Press, 1929), p. 905.

[vii] Douglas Bennett wrote a book on Irish silver, which includes an alphabetical directory of silver, goldsmiths in Dublin from 1650-1870. See also Arthur Hayden on ‘Irish Silver’: http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/arthur-hayden/chats-on-old-silver-ala/page-11-chats-on-old-silver-ala.shtml

[viii] The church plate of Carmarthenshire, John Thomas Evans (H. Gray, 1907), p. 78.

[ix] The church plate of Carmarthenshire, John Thomas Evans (H. Gray, 1907), p. xxviii.

[x] Irish silver in the rococo period, Kurt Ticher (Irish University Press, 1972), p. 43.

[xi] FDJ 1753, 24th-27 February: ‘Stopped by George Beere, Goldsmith, in Skinner-row, February 26 1753, a large silver spoon, with a crest on it. Whoever can prove it is their property may have it, by paying the expense of the advertisement. It is supposed to have been stolen, as the women never returned.’

[xii] DG 1756, 23rd-27 November: ‘Stopped by George Beere, Goldsmith, in Skinner-row, the top of a silver sand box, belonging to an ink stand, supposed to be stolen, by the man not returning who offered it for sale; he said his name was John Crawley, Mary’s-lane.’

[xiii] ‘Irish Georgian Silver’, Douglas Bennett (Cassell, 1972)

[xiv] Freemans Journal, Saturday, May 17, 1766. For press clipping see: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1766/05/17/3/Ar00308.xml&CollName=FMJ_1761_1780&DOCID=586&PageLabelPrint=3&Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&ViewMode=HTML

[xv] SN-L 1774, 25th-28 February

[xvi] ‘Blain Biographical Directory of Anglican clergy in the South Pacific’, p. 95.

[xvii] To see his apprentice records one would have to go the assays office in Dublin.

[xviii] Churchwardens of the Parish of Taney – Chronological List from 1791:
BEERE, DANIEL, 1805-6-15, of Mount Anville; Secondary in Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer's Office, and Deputy Pursuivant of the Court of Exchequer; m., 1791, Miss Butler, only dau. of Gerald Butler, Esq., of Ballyadams, Queen's Co.

See also ‘The Royal Kalendar, and court and city register for England, Scotland, Ireland, and the colonies’ (1820).

[xix] REPORTS FROM COMMISSIONERS: SIX VOLUMES. -4- (IRELAND.) COURTS OF JUSTICE, XIIth REPORT; PUBLIC ACCOUNTS, FISHERIES; RECORDS Session 3 February - - to - - 25 June, 1824. VOL. XII. – see: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3jJbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA117&dq=%22Daniel+Beere%22+%2B+Dublin&hl=en&ei=Zc59To3DLsXYsga_ocwx&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22Daniel%20Beere%22%20%2B%20Dublin&f=false

[xx] For the Freeman’s Journal press clipping of this, see: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=Rk1KLzE3ODYvMTAvMzEjQXIwMDQwMw%3D%3D&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom

[xxi] For Finn’s press clipping, see: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FLJ/1791/01/29/2/Ar00203.xml&CollName=FLJ_1790_1799&DOCID=8195&PageLabelPrint=2&Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1316787663163&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22Daniel%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&ViewMode=HTML

[xxi.a] Sir Edward Gerald Butler purchased a cornetcy in the 14th Regiment of Dragoons in 1788. Gazetted 18th Aug 1789. He became Liutenant in the 14th on Oct 13 1791. He exchanged to the 24th Regt as Captain August 1792 and then sold out to be a Captain of an Independent Company in July 1793. He then purchased a Cornetcy in the 15th Regiment of Dragoons Gazzeted March 1794.

[xxii] Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. PETER
Baptism of SAMUEL BEERE of N/R on 15 MARCH 1792
Address N/R

It is possible that this is a different family a Daniel’s wife is described as ‘Mary’ rather than ‘Margaret’, but it seems likely she is the same woman given that George Beere’s parents were also described as ‘Danl’ and ‘Mary’.

[xxiii] Irish Independent, Saturday, November 02, 1974: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=IND/1974/11/02/16/Img/Ar0160103.png

[xxiv] Baptism of GEORGE BEERE of N/R on 21 April 1793
Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. AUDOEN
Area - DUBLIN (COI), Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. AUDOEN

Baptism of GEORGE BEERE of N/R on 21 April 1793
Address N/R

[xxv] See: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1839/08/27/4/Ar00405.xml&CollName=FMJ_1821_1840&DOCID=86445&PageLabelPrint=4&Skin=INA&enter=true&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&RefineQueryView=&StartFrom=5&ViewMode=HTML

[xxvi] Gerald and Mary had at least nine children born in Westmeath including:
1. Margaretta Jacques Beere (c. 1828);
2. Alexander Nenon Beere (born c1831, died 1892 Adare, Co. Limerick);
3. Daniel Manders Beere (born c1833 West Meath, moved to New Zealand in 1863);
4. Gerald Butler Beere, born c1836, also moved to New Zealand in November 1863, was a soldier and civil engineer, married (c1862) Matilda Sophia Wright (nee BRADY) and died in Auckland on 13 Mar 1914);
5. Nenon Francis Beere (born 1837, father of Rev. Gerald Nenon O’Grada Beere, sometime Rector of Larne and grandfather of Lionel O’Sullivan Beere (1902-1980), Anglican clergyman of the South Pacific;
6. George Armstrong Beere (born c1839, a surveyor who arrived in Auckland on the Shalimar, 20 Dec 1862 with Holroyd Beere, died 27 Mar 1915 Gisborne New Zealand);
7. Llewellyn James Molyneux Beere (born c1841);
8. Edward Holroyd Beere (born c1843, arrived Auckland on Shalimar with brother George, probably worked as a surveyor, died 1 Jul 1906 Wellington New Zealand);
9. Villiers Walter Beere (born c1849, died 1893 Australia).

[xxvii] He is not to be confused with another Lieut. Daniel Beere, 8th Foot, son of George and Mary Beere nee Lamb who were married in 1823 at Booterstown, Co. Dublin, Ireland. Daniel was born on 13 March 1826 in Gosport, Hampshire and baptised there on the same day by Francis Delarue the Roman Catholic Chaplain of Gosport, Portsmouth and Portsea. Daniel's father George was an officer in the British Army whose first appointment was in 1807 as Ensign in the 87th Regiment of Foot (see London Gazette 2 May 1807 page 574). This George subsequently served in the 1st West India Regiment and died of yellow fever in 1840 on the island of Barbados while he was in transit from Tobago to St Lucia to join his new regiment (the 14th Regiment of Foot). All of this in the WO 42/2 document which contains letters written by the widow Mary Beere when trying to obtain a pension from the War Office subsequent to her husband's death in 1840. Daniel was promoted from Ensign to Lieutenant, without purchase, which saw him move from the 20th Foot to the 8th Foot of Regiment. (Nenagh Guardian, Saturday, April 11, 1846) He appears to have reached the rank of Captain with the 8th foot, retiring on half-pay in February 1863 when replaced by Captain George Sinclair. While on half-pay he was appointed a Staff Officer of Army Pensioners. He retired from that role in 1882 and on his retirement he was granted the honorary rank of Colonel. The document WO 42/2 can be downloaded free of charge from the National Archives documentsonline digital microfilm collection if you wanted to verify the information provided (record British B172 is the one to look at within WO 42/2). With thanks to Paul Cope.
See: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=NGD/1846/04/11/4/Ar00407.xml&CollName=NGD_1831_1850&DOCID=16459&PageLabelPrint=4&Skin=INA&enter=true&AW=1316787663163&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22Daniel%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&RefineQueryView=&StartFrom=5&ViewMode=HTML; Freeman’s Journal (Tuesday, February 17, 1863): http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=NGD/1846/04/11/4/Ar00407.xml&CollName=NGD_1831_1850&DOCID=16459&PageLabelPrint=4&Skin=INA&enter=true&AW=1316787663163&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22Daniel%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&RefineQueryView=&StartFrom=5&ViewMode=HTML

[xxix] See: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1820/10/05/3/Ar00305.xml&CollName=FMJ_1801_1820&DOCID=234160&PageLabelPrint=3&Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1316787663163&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22Daniel%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&ViewMode=HTML
[xxx] For newspaper clipping, see: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=NGD/1843/11/08/3/Ar00302.xml&CollName=NGD_1831_1850&DOCID=7583&PageLabelPrint=3&Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1316787663163&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22Daniel%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&ViewMode=HTML

[xxxi] ‘ACCOUNTS, PRESENTED TO THE HOUSE OF COMMONS, FROM The Eaft India Company’ (1808), p. 147.

[xxxii] See Freemans Journal (Friday, May 26, 1837): http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1837/05/26/1/Ar00123.xml&CollName=FMJ_1821_1840&DOCID=56134&PageLabelPrint=1&Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22Mount%20Anville%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&ViewMode=HTML

1806 Daniel Beere and John Townsend Sinnett.
1815. William Ridgeway and Daniel Beere.

[xxxiv] Freeman's Journal — 25 June to 1 July 1820 - Voters
—— A list of voters and their votes in the 1820 City of Dublin election
Candidates Henry GRATTAN Esq. and Thomas ELLIS Esq
Started 24 June 1820
Daniel BEER Roebuck goldsmith E

[xxxv] ‘Blain Biographical Directory of Anglican clergy in the South Pacific’, p. 97

[xxxvi] See: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1782/04/09/3/Ar00301.xml&CollName=FMJ_1781_1800&DOCID=6919&PageLabelPrint=3&Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&ViewMode=HTML

[xxxvii] ‘Blain Biographical Directory of Anglican clergy in the South Pacific’, p. 97.

[xxxviii] English goldsmiths and their marks: a history of the goldsmiths and plate workers of England, Scotland, and Ireland, Sir Charles James Jackson (Dover Publications, 1964).

[xxxix] Freemans Journal, Sunday, January 13, 1822: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1822/01/13/4/Ar00407.xml&CollName=FMJ_1821_1840&DOCID=13055&PageLabelPrint=4&Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&ViewMode=HTML

[xl] Samuel Jackson was also mentioned as a cotton manufacturer based in Dolphins Barn, Dublin, on Jan 8th 1789 when his daughter Ann married Joseph Boardman, a gardener of Marrowbone Lane, Dublin. See Freemans Journal, Thursday, December 21, 1826: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1826/12/21/2/Ar00203.xml&CollName=FMJ_1821_1840&DOCID=133437&PageLabelPrint=2&Skin=INA&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&ViewMode=HTML

[xli] See Nenagh Guardian, Wednesday, November 27 1844: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=NGD/1844/11/27/3/Ar00301.xml&CollName=NGD_1831_1850&DOCID=10944&PageLabelPrint=3&Skin=INA&enter=true&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&RefineQueryView=&StartFrom=5&ViewMode=HTML

[xlii] See Freemans Journal (Monday, November 14, 1853): http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1853/11/14/1/Ar00110.xml&CollName=FMJ_1841_1860&DOCID=49213&PageLabelPrint=1&Skin=INA&enter=true&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&RefineQueryView=&StartFrom=5&ViewMode=HTML

[xliii] Freemans Journal (Tuesday, November 20, 1855): http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=FMJ/1855/11/20/3/Ar00318.xml&CollName=FMJ_1841_1860&DOCID=82649&PageLabelPrint=3&Skin=INA&enter=true&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&RefineQueryView=&StartFrom=5&ViewMode=HTML

[xliv] Nenagh Guardian (Saturday, July 23, 1864): http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Search&Key=NGD/1864/07/23/3/Ar00301.xml&CollName=NGD_1851_1870&DOCID=66293&PageLabelPrint=3&Skin=INA&enter=true&AW=1316818989068&sPublication=IND&sScopeID=All&sSorting=IssueDateID%2casc&sQuery=%22George%20Beere%22&rEntityType=&sSearchInAll=true&RefineQueryView=&StartFrom=10&ViewMode=HTML