Turtle Bunbury

Writer and Historian

Random Quote
Random Date



image title

Above: Lloyd's painting of Rorke's Drift.



By Turtle Bunbury

When he finally reached the summit of the 680-foot high outcrop, William Whitelocke-Lloyd must have experienced extraordinary emotions. The Zulus called this isolated butte Shiyane, meaning ‘eyebrow’, and certainly it offered a remarkable vantage point.[i] To the north, he could see the red rooftops of the Rorke’s Drift mission station where the men from his regiment, the 24th Foot, had mounted such an extraordinary defence against the Zulus just over two months earlier.

His eyes would have scanned the hospital on the left and James Rorke’s old storehouse on the right, before following the Buffalo River out to the Helpmekaar Plateau across which the Zulu army had charged in their thousands, their spear-points gleaming.

image title

Above: One of William Whitelocke-Lloyd's sketches of the British army preparing to knuckle down against the Zulus.

Lloyd had known the officers and men who defended Rorke’s Drift against all odds from an assault by upwards of 4,000 Zulus. That fateful day was immortalized in the 1964 movie, ‘Zulu’ movie. Like Gonville Bromhead, who was portrayed by Michael Caine in the movie, Lloyd was a lieutenant in the 24th Foot (later the South Wales Borderers), the most famous regiment to serve in the Anglo-Zulu War. Indeed, most of the 150 men inside the fort were from the 24th Foot. Of the eleven Victoria Crosses awarded after the fight, seven went to Lloyd’s fellow officers and soldiers of the 24th.

His breathing must have thickened as he raised his field glasses to view the field of battle at Isandlwana, where 1,300 British officers and soldiers had died in the hours before the defence of Rorke’s Drift began. The echoes of artillery fire and the blood curdling screams must have still resounded in his ears. Perhaps amidst it all, he could imagine the deep baritone voices of the ‘Men of Harlech’.

The 24th Foot had been all but decimated by the Zulu army as they camped, utterly exposed and vulnerable, amid the barren scrub of Isandlwana. Lord Chelmsford, the Commander-in-Chief, had developed a devastating conviction that the Zulus would not attack because of the reputation of British firepower.

But attack they did, somewhere in the region of 15,000 of them, and the British did not stand a chance. The dead included 540 men from Lloyd’s regiment, including his company commander. Approximately a thousand Zulus also died in the battle.

Lloyd had missed both fights. His company was one of the few that had been held back by order of Chelmsford. Most soldiers long to be at the heart of battle but when Lloyd later wrote to his sister Selina in Waterford, he felt ‘quite contended’ to have swum across the Buffalo, ‘stood on the enemies country and shaken my fist at him’.

Although it was nearly 12 miles from Shiyane, the 23-year-old Irish officer could see Isandlwana clearly. He described the scene to Selina:

‘We can see the place where the massacre or fight rather took place from here but dare not cross the river as it would mean almost certain death. Our fellows are lying unburied just where they fell and with a good telescope one can see the skeletons dotted about’.[ii]

And just in case Selina wasn’t feeling poorly enough, he added that it was already ‘impossible to tell officers from soldiers as in a very short time the vultures and white necked crows pick any dead thing clean.’

image title

Above: Isandlwana Rock from the Neck,
by William Whitelocke Lloyd.

As the view sank in, Lloyd reached for his kit bag and pulled out his sketchbook and his box of watercolours. And he began to sketch the views that he could see from Shiyane.

From Shiyane, he used his binoculars to create an intimate sketch of Isandlwana, depicting the Zulus still wandering through the abandoned wagons, ammunition boxes and debris, and the decomposed body of a wagon driver crumpled on a rock.

His sketch of the fort at Rorke’s Drift included a butcher’s scaffold where a Zulu prisoner had been hung.

During the course of his time in South Africa, Lloyd created 100 captioned watercolours, as well as 24 sketches he created with pencil or pen and ink. Panoramas from the Nhlazatshe heights and the Helpmekaar plateau; columns of Redcoats marching through the magnificent Mooi and Thukela valley; crowded ships in Durban; the cavalry camp at Dundee; the officer’s mess; the wagons in motion; the entrenchments and artillery; the dawn patrol.

It was all a far cry from the Blackwater Valley in Co. Waterford where Lloyd was born and raised. His family home was Strancally Castle, an extraordinary neo-Gothic castle which his father had purchased in 1854, two years before Lloyd’s birth. It lay along the riverfront just south of Villierstown, West Waterford, and had been acquired when the original owner was declared bankrupt.[iii]

George Whitelocke-Lloyd, William’s father, was a wealthy man. His Lloyd ancestors had prospered as merchants and manufacturers in northern England and his grandfather served as Mayor of Leeds in 1799.[iv]

George’s mother was a Whitelocke, descended from a family who had come to prominence in the legal world during the 17th century.[v] One ancestor was Sir Bulstrode Whitelocke who sided with Cromwell during the English Civil War, serving as his Ambassador to Sweden, but deftly managed to survive the Restoration.

Sir Bulstrode’s grandson Major John Carleton Whitelocke served in the British Army before settling down at Priors-Wood in Coolock, Co. Dublin. In 1725, the Major married Anne Roche, daughter of George Roche, the long-serving MP for Limerick City.[vi]

In the next generation the Whitelockes again intermarried with the Roches and became closely tied to France. Born in 1830, George was only 24 years old when he purchased Strancally Castle, with 5000 acres, for less than £10,000, a fraction of what it had cost to build.

George was destined to inherit substantial estates in Counties Clare, Limerick, Waterford and Cork, amounting to a further 4,700 acres. [vii]

image title

Above left: 'Mazwako killing Zulus'.
Above right
: 'Kaffir young lady - winterdress'.
William Whitelocke Lloyd (1879)

In September 1854, the year be bought Strancally, the Cambridge-educated George was married in Straffan, Co. Kildare, to Selina Jane Henry, a daughter of the linen and banking heir Arthur Henry of Lodge Park, Co. Kildare.

The couple had a son William and three daughters but Selina tragically died just eight days after the birth of their youngest daughter on 11th January 1860. She is buried at the small church near Strancally Castle.

William was four years old when his mother died. The following year, his father was married secondly in Kilclooney, Co. Galway, to Lady Anne Butler, eldest daughter of the 3rd Earl of Carrick.[viii]

At the age of ten, William’s daily view changed from the Knockmealdown mountains to the playing fields of Eton School. He then went to Magdalen College, Oxford, where he befriended Oscar Wilde. However, he was suspended from the college for excessively celebrating the Gunpowder Plot on 5th November 1875 and subsequently left. It is to be noted that one of his forebears was closely involved with Guy Fawkes.[ix]

In December 1875, he joined the Carlow Rifles Militia with whom he remained until June 1878 when commissioned as a subaltern in the 24th Foot.[x]

image title

The wedding of William Whitelocke Lloyd (standing centre) and Catherine Anna Mona Brougham in 1885. daughter of Very Rev. Henry William Brougham D.D. Dean of Lismore. George Whitelocke-Whitelocke Lloyd is believed to be the man seated to the left of the bride, while the lady whom upon whom William rests his left hand must be his stepmother, Lady Anne Margaret Butler, 2nd daughter of Richard Somerset, 3rd Earl of Carrick. The brides father Very Rev. Henry William Brougham may be the man on the back row, left side, looking at the bride as she is looking at him.
( Photograph from Waterford Museum facebook page and thanks to Vicky House for alerting me).

One month later, he set sail on board SS Balmoral Castle to join his new Regiment in South Africa. Plans for a British invasion of Zululand were already well underway by the time he met them at the Cape.[xi] Cetshwayo, the Zulu king, had been issued an ultimatum, the terms of which were grossly weighed against him.[xii]

On 11th January 1879, the British crossed into Zululand under the command of Lord Chelmsford.

Cetshwayo had in excess of 40,000 Zulu warriors at his beck and call. Chelmsford’s army numbered 5,400 troops, plus a colonial militia of 1,200 mounted soldiers and a further 10,000 poorly armed African recruits (the Natal Native Contingent).

The stunning Zulu victory at Isandlwana in the midst of a solar eclipse on 22nd January completely put paid to Chelmsford’s conceit that British firepower would compensate for numerical inferiority.[xiii] It was one of the greatest disasters in British military history although Victorians understandably preferred to focus on the heroism of the 24th at Rorke’s Drift the following day.

That was also the day that Lloyd was promoted to lieutenant, despite his abhorrence of Chelmsford whom he blamed for the disaster.

D-Company, with whom he served, now awaited the arrival of reinforcements from Britain. The British government could not possibly allow imperial credibility to be so badly shaken by an army like the Zulus. Zululand must be conquered and Cetshwayo brought to heel.

Over the ensuing months, Lloyd was to sketch many invaluable images of daily life for the Redcoats during the Zulu campaign - cavalry camps, crowded ships, long marches, the officer’s mess, the wagons in motion, the entrenchments and artillery, the spectacular landscapes through which they passed.[xiv]

image title

Above: British army camp of the 24th Foot in Zululand, 1879.

One of his more epic sketches was the place where the 23-year-old Prince Imperial, only child of Emperor Napoleon III of France and the last of the Bonapartes, was ambushed and killed by the Zulus on 1st June. Some might hold Harry Flashman responsible for his demise, but that's another story.

Most of the art that later came to signify the Zulu war was painted by artists who never visited South Africa and tended to cater to romantic notions of jingoistic heroism. Lloyd’s were different – realistic, accurate and often humorous. His pictures of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift were deeply poignant, but he also made people smile with sketches such as the officer falling into an ant-bear hole at night.[xv] The Illustrated London News recognised his talents and published several of his sketches alongside their weekly reports on the war.[xvi]

Lloyd was present during the battle of Ulundi on 4th July, which brought an end to the war. He created a three-page panorama of the Valley of Ulundi, the heart of Cesthwayo’s kingdom, and sketched views of the battle from his vantage point in the camp on the White Mfolozi River. His artistic eye captured the Zulu army pouring through the scrubland to attack Chelmsford’s square and, later, the very same Zulus retreating under heavy shell-fire.

And finally he sketched the great royal homesteads, including Cesthwayo’s kraal, in flames.[xvii]

When the war ended, Lloyd sailed back to England with his regiment, sketching views of Madeira, Tenerife and other ports he visited along the way.

He left the army in 1882 and returned to Ireland where he was married in the summer of 1885 to Catherine Brougham, a daughter of the Dean of Lismore Cathedral, Co. Waterford.[xviii] They settled in Glandore, Co. Cork, where they had two children, Percy and Winifred.

He became a professional illustrator and was commissioned by the Peninsula and Orient Steamship Company (P&O) to draw pen and ink sketches that could be sold to their passengers as a keepsake for their voyage. The work brought him all over the world and he would go on to produce three books of sketches of life on board these luxury liners and the exotic places through which they passed. He appears to have been on board the Mirzapour 2 (1882 -1890), the Britianna (1887-1890) and the Arcadia 1 (1888 -1890).

Although he also produced a collection of largely humorous sketches of military life called ‘On Active Service’, Lloyd never published his Zulu works.[xix]

Perhaps he had planned to but he was tragically killed in the autumn of 1897 when he fell 20 feet from a tree that he was pruning at Glandore. He was just 41 years old.[xx] There is a memorial to his memory in Lismore Cathedral. [xxi] His moss-covered grave lies in the churchyard of St Cartage's (Lismore Cathedral), with a cross lying horizontal on the grave itself (as reported by Chris Mercer in April 2018) and details of his full name, 'late of the 24th Regiment', as well as his date of death and age. The grave site is located adjacent to the fossa that runs along the north wall of the nave and near to its corner with the west wall of the Cathedral. The graves of the Dean of Lismore and family members are across the path from Lloyd.

image title

Above: David Rattray's book about Whitelocke-Lloyd

His only son Percy ultimately succeeded to Strancally Castle but, burdened with debt, sold most of the contents during the 1930s and the house itself was sold in 1959.[xxii]

Winifred managed to keep hold of her father’s Zululand album which, following her death in Cork in 1976, she left to a family called Becher who had cared for her in her old age.[xxiii]

In 2000, the Becher’s made contact with the eminent South African historian David Rattray and sent him the album. Rattray immediately recognised Lloyd’s work as ‘an extraordinary historical find, a fresh resource probably unequalled in Anglo-Zulu War studies in recent times’. He assembled the 150 sketches into a book called ‘A Soldier-Artist in Zululand’, with a foreword by Britain’s Prince Charles.[xxiv]

Tragically, Rattray was shot dead during a burglary at his farm near Rorke’s Drift in 2007, shortly after the book was published. The Bechers sold the album at Sotheby's on 10th July 2012 for £40,000.

The MuseuMAfricA (formerly known as the Africana Museum) in Johannesburg acquired a further collection of seventeen of his original monochrome wash sketches during the 1980s.


With special thanks to Victoria House, and also to Dr. Robin Darwall-Smith (Archivist, Magdalen College, University College, Oxford), Gilly Butler, Tanya Pampalone and Leyla Delbege (Sotheby's).

A version of this article appeared in the Irish Mail on Sunday on 16th July 2012, while another article appeared in the Mail & Guardain (South Africa) and can be accessed here.

This link takes you to a list of all those serving in the British Army who were killed at Isandlwana during the Anglo-Zulu War: http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/zulu/despatch5_isandhlwana_isandlwana_casualty.htm



[i] Known to the locals as Shiyane ("Eyebrow") this isolated butte was renamed by the Rev. Otto Witt when he acquired the land on behalf of the Swedish / Norwegian Mission in 1878. He called it in honor of the then reigning king of Sweden, Oskar Friedrich Bernadotte, a.k.a. Oscar II (1872-1907). In the late afternoon of 22 January 1879 Rev. Witt and the British Rev. George Smith climbed to the top of this elevation to serve as look out for the British soldiers who were working frantically down below, trying to fortify the mission compound against an immanent Zulu attack. (http://wikimapia.org/6952214/Oskarberg)

[ii] In the letter to his sister Selina, Lloyd wrote ‘… we can see the place where the massacre or fight rather took place from here but dare not cross the river as it would mean almost certain death our fellows are lying unburied just where they fell and with a good telescope one can see the skeletons dotted about. I daresay when we cross again to march into Zululand they will be buried but by this time its impossible to tell officers from soldiers as in a very short time the vultures and white necked crows pick any dead thing clean. I have been into Zululand twice only for a few minutes as I had to swim the Buffalo however I’ve stood on the enemies country and shaken my fist at him so feel quite contended…. Before I come to the end, perhaps you don’t know this letter is carried by Kaffir runners to Ladysmith about 60 miles from here our nearest town. Such rum looking chaps you will see a sketch of one in my book some day. They carry a letter in the end of a split-stick but this one goes in a bag’.

[iii] The Gothic castle was designed by James and George Pain and built for John Kiely during the 1820s. Despite rumours that he was shot in October 1847 (http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cork/1847/OCT.html) he was apparently a good landlord and bankrupted himself by trying to look after his tenants. His brother Andrew Kiely is less fondly remembered.

[iv] The Lloyd family tree runs back at least to Gamaliel Lloyd who died in Nottingham in 1661. His son George Lloyd settled in Manchester where the family became established as merchants and manufacturers, acquiring Hulme Hall, near Manchester, and Barrowby, near Leeds. William Whitelocke-Lloyd’s great-grandfather, another Gamaliel Lloyd, was Mayor of Leeds in 1799, while his grandfather William Horton Lloyd, FRS, died in 1849.

[v] The Whitelock family were an old Berkshire family. Richard Whitelocke was one of the Merchant Adventurers of Queen Elizabeth’s reign and died in Bordeaux in 1750. His firstborn son Edmund was implicated in the rebellion of the Earl of Essex and the Gunpowder Plot, but managed to survive. Another brother was slain by the Spaniards while fighting alongside Sir Francis Drake in 1597.

Richard’s youngest son Sir James Whitelocke emerged as a leading legal figure in the reign of James I, who knighted him in 1620. He was author of ‘Liber Famelicus’ and became Justice of the Court of King's Bench in 1624. His son was the black-haired Sir Bulstrode Whitelocke served as Cromwell’s Ambassador to Sweden and Governor of Windsor Castle but abandoned Richard Cromwell and was fortunate to be pardoned by Charles II who allowed him to take care of his wife and 16 children.

For Whitelocke-Lloyd of Fawley Court, Henley on Thames, see www.hambleden-valley-churches.org.uk/FAWhistory.htm

Sir Bulstrode was married three times, having at least nine sons and eight daughters. His sixth son Carleton Whitelocke, a lawyer, of Hersham, Surrey, and Salisbury Square, London, died in 1701 leaving a son called Major John Carleton Whitelocke (1699-1776). JCW joined the army as an Ensign in 1719 and rose to become a Major in Colonel Burrell’s Regiment. In 1725, he married Anne Roche, daughter of George Roche, MP for Limerick, at St. Mary’s, Limerick. He later settled at Priorswood, Co. Dublin. His only surviving son George Whitelocke (1750-1831), William’s grandfather, was baptised at St. Thomas’s Church, Dublin, in 1750 and married another of the Roches of Limerick – an aunt of Sir David Roche, 1st Bart, of Carass. The family lived close to Fortoiseau in France at this time. George’s youngest daughter Mary Whitelocke was born in 1797 and married in 1826 to the aforementioned William Horton Lloyd of Yorkshire. They were parents of George Whitelocke-Lloyd.

image title

Above: Inside the Laager, Helpmakker.

[vi] Anne was a daughter of George Roche, MP for Limerick City (1713-1727). The marriage took place at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Limerick.

[vii] Dr. George Whitelocke Whitelocke-Lloyd (1830-1910) was born in 1830 and educated at Cambridge. In 1879, following the death at Touraine in France of his maternal uncle James Whitelocke, he succeeded to 2,529 acres in county Clare. He also became representative of the Whitelocke family and assumed the additional surname and arms by Royal Licence in 1880.

In 1860, he announced his intention of standing for Parliament for Co. Waterford for the Liberal Conservative interest. (The Irish Times, Thursday, January 12, 1860, p. 4.)

By the 1870s, George W owned over 1000 acres in county Limerick, 1,106 acres in county Waterford and 61 acres in county Cork. According to the 1901 census, he derived his income from land, railroad and bank dividends. He also had an estate at Calton in North Yorkshire where he was Deputy Lieutenant and High Sheriff of the West Riding of Yorkshire. He is buried at Fawley church, Henley on Thames in Berkshire

[viii] The Irish Times, Monday, January 14, 1861, p. 3. Her sister Lady Sarah was married to the Earl of Clancarty.

[ix] Frederick Bulley, President of Magdalen from 1855-1885, kept a series of official journals during his Presidency in which he recorded that William Whitelocke Lloyd matriculated from Magdalen College on 17th October 1874. According to Bulley, Lloyd was born on 5th May 1856 at Marly [sic], near Dublin, and his father was living at Strancally Castle, Co. Waterford.

It is not known what Lloyd studied at Oxford, probably Latin and Greek, but he did not stay long.

On 11 November 1875, Bulley had grim news to put in his journal: “Mr. Lloyd, Commoner, was informed by the President that he would have to go out of residence on Monday the 15th for the remainder of the Term. Mr. Lloyd has been very negligent in attendance at Lectures for some time past, and was concerned in a disturbance in College on the night of the 5th of this month. He was not sent down immediately, in order that his Father might have the option of removing his name from the Books”.

As Dr. Robin Darwall-Smith, Archivist at Magdalen College explained to Victoria House in 2008, ‘Victorian undergraduates regularly liked to cause trouble on 5 November, with fireworks, and other mischief. I guess that Bonfire Night 1875 was particularly rowdy at Magdalen.’

Lloyd was absent from Oxford for the first two terms of 1876, but returned in October 1876. However, on 7 December 1876, Bulley recorded that Lloyd had asked to have his name removed from the College’s Book - in other words that he was to leave the College.

[x] He joined the Carlow Militia Rifles on 4th December 1875. He was commissioned into the 24th on 12th June 1878.

[xi] After calling in at Madeira, Cape Verde Islands and Cape Town, Lloyd caught up with the 24th at King William’s Town on the Eastern Cape. On 25 September they moved on foot from King William’s Town to East London on the coast and then by sea north to Durban on HMS Tyne. William was assigned as a subaltern officer to D-Company, under Major Russell Upcher, where he met Wilfred Heaton, two years his senior, who boasted a drooping moustache. Heaton wrote a diary of his experience in the ensuing campaign which provides much vital detail about Lloyd.

In mid December 1878, the 24th’s commander Colonel Richard Glyn, a ‘short, grouchy’ Crimean War veteran, was given command of the overall column, while command of the 24th passed to Lt. Col. Henry Burmeister Pulleine who would die at Isandlwana. Both battalions of the 24th assembled in the British colony of Natal on the borders of Zululand, in advance of an invasion.

Another lieutenant of the 24th who died at Isandlwana was Drumcondra-born Nevill Coghill who won a VC.

Captain Reginald Younghusband also died at Isandlwana.

[xii] The British Government had not sanctioned the war, largely because they had so many soldiers fighting elsewhere, such as Afghanistan.

[xiii] Chelmsford’s plan was to dupe the Zulus into attacking one or more of the British columns. He figured that the Zulu’s initial confidence of numerical superiority would rapidly give way to panic as they realised the deadly accuracy of British firepower, namely the new rapid-firing Martini-Henry rifles. The plan didn’t work.

[xiv] Lloyd sketched almost every aspect of his experiences from the cavalry camp in Dundee, Natal, to crossing the Blood River into Zululand. He did so with wit and a fine eye for detail and topography. Some of the sketches are in pen and ink, but most are finely executed in delicate water-colours which conjure up not only the subtle hues of the landscape but also the shifting moods of the African light. Lloyd sketched life on board ship, the views off Cape Town, his brief encounter with the Eastern Cape and his voyage to Durban, columns of men marching in the lee of Babanango mountain and through the spectacular Mooi and Thukela valleys, the sweeping panoramas from the Nhlazatshe heights, the breathtaking views from Helpmekaar where the battalion stayed, showing both the men and the mealy bags they used for defence.

Also, the nerve-racking dawn alerts where the redcoats huddled beneath the barricades, eyes searching for any signs of the Zulu hordes against the pink African sun-rise.

He also sketched too the everyday incidents of campaign life, of the rush for water by hot and thirsty men at the end of a long day’s march, of the officers’ at dinner in their improvised mess, or of a wagon overturned on the road.

Many of his sketches are humorous - an officer falling into an ant-bear hole while checking picquets at night, or a race of Sotho horsemen - and indeed among those included here are many of the originals of those familiar from On Active Service.

As Ashwood observes, ‘one gets the impression from Lloyd’s paintings that he was something of a free spirit with a considerable sense of humour. He also clearly had strong views on the conduct of the campaign and had written privately to various people expressing his views while on sick leave. To his shock, some of these letters were leaked to ‘the Irish papers’ … ‘I was awfully put out by having a disjointed, rambling scrawl sent to be criticized and laughed at by everyone, a letter which was only intended to let my people know the various items of the march after we were ordered to the front’. He has also slammed Chelmsford in the letter for his ‘actions’ on 22nd January.

As Rodney Ashwood noted, ‘there were very few accredited correspondents covering the war and most of the famous paintings on the subject were done by artists who never actually visited South Africa. Consequently, they tended to depict romantic Victorian heroism rather than accurate battle scenes. Lloyd, however, was able to produce a lasting record which thankfully provides us with a far more realistic impression of the conditions under which the war was fought. Many of these have not yet been published, but others were used by magazines back in England to illustrate the many accounts being published about the war’.

[xv] The pictures of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift probably date to 9th April 1879 when Lloyd and Heaton visited Rorke’s Drift and clambered to the top of Oskarberg where they could see the Isandlwana battlefield and the abandoned wagons still there.

[xvi] On 7 February, Heaton wrote in his diary about how Lloyd was ‘making sketches to send home for the Illustrated Papers’. (Ashwood)

[xvii] On 21 July, he accompanied a group of officers who visited the stricken field at isandlwana.

[xviii] On 26th April 1882, he resigned his commission having decided the army was not for him. He returned to Ireland where he was married on 25 June 1885 to Catherine Anna Mona, daughter of the Longford-born Very. Rev. Henry William Brougham, DD, Dean of Lismore.

[xix] See http://www.britishempire.co.uk/science/transport/po.htm for some of these.

Most of these sketches were inspired by a voyage he took on board SS Himalaya when she travelled from Southampton to India via the Suez Canal in 1891. He later worked for Union Castle Lines.

‘In his slim volume Lloyd's Sketches of Indian Life (1890), cartoonist William Whitelocke Lloyd satirized the disjunction between Western expectations of India and the stark reality that many experienced.’ (Lockwood De Forest: Furnishing the Gilded Age With a Passion for India, by Roberta A. Mayer, Lockwood De Forest - Associated University Presse, 30 Nov 2008, p. 54).

In 1890 he published a collection of largely humorous sketches of military life under the title ‘On Active Service’, based on sketches he produced in the field.

In an introduction to his 1891 book, ‘Adventures amidst the equatorial forests and rivers of South America: also in the West Indies and the wilds of Florida’, the author Villiers Stuart (of nearby Dromana?) drew the readers attention to ‘a gifted and artistic young friend of mine, Mr. W. Whitelock Lloyd, who executed some of the marine pictures at the recent Naval Exhibition, and is beginning to attract notice’.

He also had some success with a number of chromo-lithographically illustrated books.

[xx] William died 24 Nov 1897, aged 41, ‘at his residence in Glandore, Co. Cork, as a result of an accident the previous day’. (‘The Law times: the journal and record of the law and the lawyers, Volume 104’, p. 120). Southern Star Newspaper Saturday 27/11/1897: The very sad intelligence reached Skibbereen on Wednesday from Glandore of the accidental death of Mr. W. W. Lloyd of West View, a gentleman of high social rank and position. It appears that he was in the act of dismembering a tree of some of its branches that evening, when he fell a distance of 20 feet to the ground, where he was found by a man-servant in an unconscious condition, in which state he remained until he expired the following morning. An inquest will be held.


[xxii] William’s father George Whitelocke-Lloyd outlived his son by 13 years and died at Strancally in May 1910. His second wife died in 1901 and in 1904 he married thirdly Anna Maria Wheeler-Bennett of Buttevant Castle, Co. Cork. Percy Gamaliel Whitelocke was born at Skibbereen in 1890. He was on probation with the 5th Battalion of the Leinster Regiment when Burke’s Landed Gentry of Ireland was published in 1912. He served during Wolrd War One, was wounded and won a Military Cross in 1917. In 1925, he married Elizabeth ‘Kitty’ O’Toole, the great-great aunt of Victoria House, who is now a tremendous expert on the Whietlocke-Lloyd. Kitty was the youngest daughter of Patrick O'Toole, the 1st Regimental Sergeant Major of the Tyneside Irish. Percy’s compulsion to sell the contents of the house in the 1930s - including a portrait of Queen Christina of Sweden - led to a court case in which he was castigated by the judge for selling the slates from his outhouses. (The Irish Times, Tuesday, March 22, 1938, p. 5.)

Following Kitty’s death from influenza at Strancally in April 1940, aged 42, Percy returned to India where he had formerly been in the army. He was married secondly to his nurse, another Elizabeth, in 1944. She died in 1961. Percy died at his home Tenby, Seafield Road, in Clontarf, Dublin, in 1954 and, in the absence of any children, left Strancally to his sister Winifred. The Strancally estate was acquired by the Land Commission in 1959.

[xxiii] Winifred was born in Alexandria, Egypt, in 1886 and was living with her widowed mother at Ballyin Lower, Co. Waterford, at the time of the 1901 census. She was with her mother and grandfather Henry Brougham on the North Mall of Waterford at the time of the 1911 census. When she died in St Brendan’s House, Cork, in 1976, she left the portfolio to the Bechers who had looked after

[xxiv] H.R.H. Prince Charles is the 24th’s Regiment’s Colonel-in-Chief.


ASHWOOD, RODNEY, For the Queen and Country: The Zulu War Diary of Lieutenant Wilfred Heaton, 24th Regiment of Foot 1879 (SERENDIPITY, 2005)

RATTRAY, DAVID, A Soldier-Artist in Zululand. See: http://davidrattraymemorialtrust.com/david-rattray-profile.html