Turtle Bunbury

Writer and Historian

 
Random Quote
Random Date

Published Works

BOOKS

THE DOCKLANDS - RINGSEND & SOUTH LOTTS STREETWISE

'Dublin Docklands - An Urban Voyageis a work in progress, commissioned by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority, and due to be completed in the autumn of 2008. The following tale represents research I have undertaken for the project which may or may not be used in the final book.

RINGSEND STREETWISE

Aikenhead Terrace: Named for the Protestant-born Mother Mary Aikenhead (1787 - 1858), who founded the Roman Catholic religious order, the Sisters of Charity, to help counter malnutrition, unemployment and fever.

Barrack Lane: Named for a small Victorian barracks that stood here. In 1865, Colonel Henry Lake’s constabulary left here to arrest nightdress-clad James Stephens and other Fenians at their villa hideaway nearby. Colonel Lake subsequently became Chief Commissioner of Police.

Bath Avenue: Opened in 1792 and probably named for the bathing establishments on Irishtown Strand to which it connected. Some suggest a connection to the Marquess of Bath who was responsible for the maintenance of all British and Irish Coastguard Stations and Lighthouses, including Poolbeg. All houses on the south side of Bath Avenue were built between 1840 and 1872; before that this was a salt marsh and the road a mere lane.

Bath Avenue Place: This small line of houses was built in the 1830s to link with the nearby railway station, located on the Bath Avenue – South Lotts triangle. This was the scene of a minor skirmish in 1916.

Beach Road: Created in the 1920s when walled off from the sea, this links Strand Road, built by the 7th Viscount Fitzwilliam in the 1790s, to Irishtown Strand and Bath Street.

Beggars Bush: Before the Dodder bridges and Grand Canal Docks tamed the area, Beggars Bush was a treacherous marshland crossed by a handful of rough tracks and wooden bridges. It was a notorious hang out for highwaymen and beggars.

Bremen Road: Named for a ship of the Cork Steamship Company which famously rescued Dutch seamen in 1940, but was sunk by Junker bombers in 1942.

Cambridge Road: Named in 1863 after Prince George (1819 – 1904), 2nd Duke of Cambridge, only son of Adolphus Frederick, seventh son of George III and Commander-in-Chief of the British Army for 39 years from 1857 to 1895.

Caroline Place: Named for Caroline of Brunswick, the ‘Injured Queen of England’. Husband George IV prosecuted her for divorce after an alleged affair with dance instructor Bartolomeo Pergami. She collapsed and died shortly after George’s Coronation and was most probably poisoned.

Celestine Avenue: Named for Pope Celestine who sent St Patrick to Ireland.

Church Avenue: Continued the line from Haddington Road, Bath Avenue and Londonbridge Road to the strand and the baths. The Church refers to St Matthew’s Church.

Chapel Avenue: Named for a small red-brick Catholic chapel that survived the Penal Laws but vanished during the 1990s. This was the base for Father Peter Clinch, the popular young Parish Priest of Donnybrook, Irishtown and Ringsend, killed when an accidental blow from an oar broke his jaw in 1791.

Clonlara Road: Named for a steamship built in 1926 for the Limerick Steamship Company. It survived the carnage of Almeria Harbour in 1937, only to be torpedoed and sunk with eleven lives lost in 1941.

Cranfield Place: Named for Richard Cranfield (1731 - 1809), an eminent woodcarver, builder and owner of Cranfield’s Baths in Irishtown. There were separate baths for men and women and ‘unlimited supplies of pure sea-water and cold or hot shower baths, open seven months of the year’. Cranfield was perhaps best known for carving the President’s chair for the Royal Dublin Society. Thrice Master of the Carpenter’s Guild, he also co-founded the Society of Artists. Now home to St. Matthew’s National School, a Church of Ireland co-educational primary school.

Cymric Road: named for the steel schooner that speared the tram at MacMahon Bridge and was lost on a voyage to Lisbon in 1944 with eleven lives.

Dodder Terrace: Built in the mid 19th century, the terrace is bookended by the former St Matthew’s Parish Girl’s School, built in 1905, now a Gospel Hall for the Christian Brethren (are you sure? Are they Plymouth Brethren) while the handsome Rectory is now the Ringsend Garda station (is it?)

Ennis Grove: Named for Edward Ennis (1883 – 1916), a local man accidentally killed in crossfire during the 1916 Rising.

Dermot O’Hurley Lane: Formerly known as Watery Lane and Riverview Avenue, this was renamed in 1954 in memory of the Archbishop of Cashel tortured and strangled on Gallows Hill in 1583.

Derrynane Gardens: Laid out as part of the ‘Centenary Estate’ project in 1929, 100 years after Catholic Emancipation, and named for Daniel O’Connell’s ancestral home in Caherdaniel, Co Kerry. Also laid out in 1928-9 were Bath Avenue Gardens, O’Connell Gardens and the Malone Gardens.

Fitzwilliam Quay: Apartments by O’Mahony Pike

Fitzwilliam Street: Named for Richard Fitzwilliam (1745-1816), the 7th and last Viscount Fitzwilliam.

George Reynolds House: Named for a local silversmith and Gaelic Leaguer who held Clanwilliam House during the battle of Mount Street and was killed shortly before the house went on fire. This was previously Alexandra Terrace, home to one of the famous Bartlett ‘Tar Bay’s’.

Havelock Square: Named for the land developer who built it during the 1860s. Not to be confused with Sir Henry Havelock (1795 - 1857), aide to General Gough, who died of fever during the Indian Mutiny.

Isolda Road: Named for the Irish lights tender sunk within Irish territorial waters off Coningbeg by aerial bombing in 1940 with the loss of six lives. Another Isolde was launched in 1953.

Kelogue Road: Named for the motor-driven coaster, owned by the Stafford family of Wexford, which rescued the crew of the Bremen after it was sunk in 1942.

Kyleclare Road: Named for the Dundee-built merchant ship owned by the Limerick Steamship Company and torpedoed by a U-boat, with 18 lives lost, on returning from a coal delivery to a power station in Lisbon.

Leukos Road: Named for the Dublin Steam Trawling Company’s trawler torpedoed off the Donegal coast by a German U-boat in 1940 with a loss of eleven lives.

London Bridge: The name of a wooden bridge that crossed the unruly River Dodder, built in the first years of the 19th century as a link between the Beggars Bush Barracks and St Matthew’s Church in Irishtown. The present three-span masonry arched bridge was installed in 1857. The river wall between London Bridge and New Bridge was considerably strengthened in 2007 and 2008.

Malone Gardens: Built in 1928-1929 and named for Michael Malone (1888 – 1916), a carpenter and Volunteer killed in the battle of Mount Street Bridge.

Margaret Place: Built circa 1860, this was apparently renamed after Margaret Pearse, nee Brady, mother to the rebel leaders, Patrick and Willie Pearse.

O’Connell Gardens: Laid out as part of the ‘Centenary Estate’ project in 1929, 100 years after Catholic Emancipation. Also laid out in 1928-9 were Bath Avenue Gardens, Derrynane Gardens and the Malone Gardens.

Oliver Plunkett Avenue: Named for the Blessed Oliver Plunkett, Archbishop of Armagh, framed and executed for alleged complicity on a plot to kill the king. He was canonised a saint in 1975.

O’Rahilly House: The house on Thorncastle Street was named for Michael Joseph O'Rahilly, the tempestuous Kerryman who became the only leader of the Easter Rising to die in action.

Pine Road: Named for the Irish Pine, an American built ship on charter to Irish Shipping Ltd torpedoed on an Atlantic run in 1942 with the loss of 33 men.

Pembroke Street: At the heart of Irishtown, named for the 11th Earl of Pembroke, who succeeded to ‘the principal portion of the property of the 7th Viscount Fitzwilliam’ upon the latter’s death in 1816.

Philomena Terrace: Named for Saint Philomena, a young Greek princess said to have been martyred in the 4th century.

Rope Walk Place: Recalls the tarred hemp cables that were once stretched and twisted here to make ropes for rigging. There were many such ‘rope walks’ all over the docklands. Each one needed to be 100 yards long to wind a single rope.

Rosary Terrace: Named for the well-known prayer associated with Marian devotion.

St Mary Magdalen Terrace: Named for Jesus Christ’s devoted girlfriend.

Sean Moore Road: The main access road to the East Link Bridge is named for the long serving Fianna Fail TD, born in Ringsend, who served as Government Chief Whip to Charles Haughey in 1979.

Seapoint Terrace: Mr Murphy’s ‘Conniveing House’ and ladies baths, which were attended by Wolfe Tone’s wife in 1790, were located along the south-east wall of ‘My Lord’s Pond’.

Shamrock Avenue: The birthplace of the Shamrock Rovers Football Club.

Shelbourne Road: Originally part of the long stretch known as Artichoke Road after a series of artichoke gardens planted here in the 1670s. There was a small boat harbour close to where Slattery’s pub stands today. In 1832, Shelbourne Road was laid out and named for Henry Petty FitzMaurice, Earl of Shelbourne and later Marquess of Lansdowne. A kinsman of both the Pembrokes and Fitzwilliams, he served as Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer and Home Secretary, advocating the abolition of slavery and the emancipation of Catholics. The Shelbourne Road tram shed was one of two places closed by William Martin Murphy in the 1913 Lockout.

Stella Gardens: This development of 183 small houses was opened in November 1916, designed by George O’Connor and named for Stella O’Neill, daughter of energetic Nationalist councillor Charles O’Neill, Chairman of the Pembroke Urban District Council.

Strasbourg Terrace: Built in 1871 and probably named by disgruntled Huguenots for the French city on the Rhine captured by Bismarck’s Prussian army that year.

Sydney Place: Named for Sidney Herbert (1809 – 1861), 1st Baron Herbert of Lea, the half-Russian friend of Florence Nightingale who served as Secretary of War during the Crimean debacle. Sydney Parade, Herbert Place and Herbert Street are also named for him.

Thomas Street: Named for Thomas, 4th Viscount Fitzwilliam of Merrion, a Catholic outlawed in the 1690s for supporting King James II. His son Richard, 5th Viscount, conformed in 1710.

Thorncastle Street: Named for a castle on Merrion Road whose rampart was protected by thorn bushes. The castle came into the possession of the Fitzwilliams who held a vast estate running from Dundrum to Ringsend to O’Connell Bridge. In 1816, this estate passed to the Earls of Pembroke.

Vavasour Square: Named for Councillor William Vavasour (1744-1819), a wealthy merchant who initiated the reclamation of the marshy foreshore of the Dodder Delta in 1785 by double-banking the shore beside Beggar’s Bush.

Veronica Terrace: Named for the kindly lady who wiped the face of Jesus while He was carrying his cross.

Whelan’s House: The housing complex on Thorncastle Street was named in memory of Patrick Whelan (1893 – 1916), a local man and active Gaelic Leaguer killed by crossfire while crossing the railway line by Boland’s Mill during the Easter Rising.

York Road – Named for Duke of York (father of Queen Victoria or was he Kent and what’s this about him being found dead shortly after Caroline died?)

RETURN TO INDEX.

 

Up arrowOther Titles